View Full Version : Bringing a Little Levity to the Situation

rebelbwb
01-16-2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.rightlaneslowleftlanefast.com

Been wanting to do this for some time now. May stay like it is and may mushroom into something much more....any ideas if more?

Fumigator
01-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Hey I like it... would be fun to see other bits of driver wisdom with accompanying slick piece of art/logo, so "rightlaneslowleftlanefast" becomes the motto for a website that is more about How To Drive Good.

i.e.:

Don't drive while gabbing on a cell phone

Don't drive drunk

Use the whole merge lane and then at merge point go Every Other Car (odd-even, don't know how this goes in a tidy phrase)

Don't tail gate

Slow down when it's snowing

Use your indicators

rebelbwb
01-16-2009, 10:08 PM
I like it. I've been wanting to do something a little light-hearted like this. I even thought about expanding it beyond just driving related but things people 'should' know and follow through on whatever that might be. If it goes further I'll post here.

Thanks Fumigator

Apostropartheid
01-16-2009, 11:13 PM
You're to blame if a stupid Brit sees this. =P

Millenia
01-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Usually sites like this have hilarious comments in the source code :thumbsup:
That's what I recommend :)

rebelbwb
01-17-2009, 04:14 AM
i probably should've placed a disclaimer link somewhere to absolve me of any punitive action should those overseas follow this. oh well...;)

how 'bout making it a portfolio of those who violate this - snap a pic and upload

maybe not...

effpeetee
01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Stupid Brit here. (Born daft and have had 83 years to perfect the craft)
What's this thread all about?

Stupid I do real good, but this one eludes me.

"I'm going to marry 'Yum Yum', yum,yum."

Senior Coder. There's something very fishy about that!

Frank.

At least I think that's my name.

Any+way, who can afford a car these days?

Things are more like they are now than they ever were before. – Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Fumigator
01-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't know how it is in the UK but on America's freeways the lane furthest to the left should only be driven in when you're passing another car. Change lane, pass car, change lane back. The problem arises when people decide to camp in the left lane who are not passing anyone and are in fact going slower than general traffic flow. Speed limits be damned, that left lane should only be used if you're passing someone. If you're getting passed on the right, you should scooch on over to the right at your earliest convenience.

It's a bit of a sore spot for some of us, and the OP's fun little website is a friendly reminder of how to drive.

The UK joke has something to do with how you all drive on the wrong side of the road :D

VIPStephan
01-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't know how it is in the UK but on America's freeways the lane furthest to the left should only be driven in when you're passing another car. Change lane, pass car, change lane back.

This has been a law in Germany for a long time (if not even since the invention of the “Autobahn”). You aren’t allowed to pass a car at the right for security reasons because drivers have to be more careful when changing lanes since someone could pass by at either side. This can become very dangerous if you pass a car (or are passed by a car) at the speed of 200 km/h (124 mph) and you or the other driver isn’t expecting it (mind you, there’s officially no actual speed limit for German Autobahns, just kind of a recommendation).

The result of this is that it’s also a law to drive in the rightmost lane and only change lanes to pass a slower car. And sneaking around in the middle or left lane (there are never more than three lanes at the Autobahn) can lead to a fine if you are caught in the act (as well as passing a slower car at the right).

People here usually do follow these rules and customs but I couldn’t imagine this in, say, Los Angeles with their ten lane highways or whatever. And I also guess most people won’t care because changing customs is very, very hard. :D

BoldUlysses
01-19-2009, 04:42 PM
This has been a law in Germany for a long time (if not even since the invention of the ďAutobahnĒ). You arenít allowed to pass a car at the right for security reasons because drivers have to be more careful when changing lanes since someone could pass by at either side. This can become very dangerous if you pass a car (or are passed by a car) at the speed of 200 km/h (124 mph) and you or the other driver isnít expecting it (mind you, thereís officially no actual speed limit for German Autobahns, just kind of a recommendation).

The result of this is that itís also a law to drive in the rightmost lane and only change lanes to pass a slower car. And sneaking around in the middle or left lane (there are never more than three lanes at the Autobahn) can lead to a fine if you are caught in the act (as well as passing a slower car at the right).

This was one of the best parts of a trip to Europe a few years ago. We rented a car and drove from Paris through Germany, Switzerland and Italy down to Nice. Driving on the Autobahn was a complete revelation in the competence and efficiency of the drivers. Trucks stayed on the right, moving into the middle lane to pass. Cars stayed in the middle lane, moving into the left lane to pass. Period. End of story. It was a thing of beauty.

Between that and the wonderful prevalence of roundabouts, coming back to the States and experiencing the driving nonsense here was really hard.

Honestly I'd just settle for people knowing they have to speed up in order to merge onto the highway...

effpeetee
01-20-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't know how it is in the UK but on America's freeways the lane furthest to the left should only be driven in when you're passing another car. Change lane, pass car, change lane back. The problem arises when people decide to camp in the left lane who are not passing anyone and are in fact going slower than general traffic flow. Speed limits be damned, that left lane should only be used if you're passing someone. If you're getting passed on the right, you should scooch on over to the right at your earliest convenience.

If you switch the sides, (right for left / left for right.) it is largely the same in England. and we have roughly the same problems. Idiots are two for a penny!

Frank

bazz
01-20-2009, 11:46 PM
You're to blame if a stupid Brit sees this. =P
bleh, americans might drive on the right side of the road.

Europeans and most of the rest of world, drive on the correct side. :D

VIPStephan
01-20-2009, 11:56 PM
bleh, americans might drive on the right side of the road.

Europeans [Ö] drive on the correct side. :D

Eh? As far as I remember the Brits are the only ones in Europe. Thatís why itís a generally accepted fact that they drive on the wrong side. :D

BoldUlysses
01-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Interestingly, a whopping 28% of the world's roads carry traffic on the left side (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_on_the_left_side_of_the_road). I never would have thought it was so much... Shows how Amero-centric I am, heh.

Apostropartheid
01-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Interestingly, a whopping 28% of the world's roads carry traffic on the left side (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_on_the_left_side_of_the_road). I never would have thought it was so much... Shows how Amero-centric I am, heh.
Did you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_on_the_left_or_right? It seems your link has too many HTTPs.

BoldUlysses
01-21-2009, 04:42 PM
That's it! Thanks. :)

bazz
01-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Eh? As far as I remember the Brits are the only ones in Europe. :D

:o I must have had a brain fart last night. :(

effpeetee
01-22-2009, 04:41 PM
The Americans (USA) don't even spell correctly.

Frank

BoldUlysses
01-22-2009, 04:49 PM
That really is your favorite way of criticizing our honor, isn't it? It makes me want to analyze the possibility of starting a program to manuever airplanes into the center of a theater. At least we're having a dialog about it...

:)

bazz
01-22-2009, 04:57 PM
y'know; he could have can't spell. :D

Millenia
01-22-2009, 04:58 PM
That really is your favorite way of criticizing our honor, isn't it? It makes me want to analyze the possibility of starting a program to manuever airplanes into the center of a theater. At least we're having a dialog about it...

Yes it is my favourite way to criticise your honour. Let me analyse the manoeuvre of the aeroplanes to the centre of the theatre. Is that the dialogue you want?

BoldUlysses
01-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure I like the color of your behavior. It certainly shows the rigorous caliber of your demeanor and the fiber of your rancor. Well, I'm off to deposit a check and put new tires on my car. One got a flat from some aluminum on the curb. Don't labor too hard! It's not glamorous.

:D

Millenia
01-22-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure I like the color of your behavior. It certainly shows the rigorous caliber of your demeanor and the fiber of your rancor. Well, I'm off to deposit a check and put new tires on my car. One got a flat from some aluminum on the curb. Don't labor too hard! It's not glamorous.

There is nothing wrong with the colour of my behaviour. It may show the calibre of my demeanour and the fibre of my rancour but I can't be bothered with your labour. For saying that I will steal the cheque for your tyres.

Apostropartheid
01-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Really? They spell it tires? I've always been partial to American spelling--ironically, -ize is the more British way of doing it--but EW.

Carry on, lads.

BoldUlysses
01-22-2009, 08:59 PM
I concede. I trust the two sides of the pond will be able to harmonize their differences, and I appreciate your galvanizing candor. It makes me proud to be a part of such an organization.

@Cyan: I was wondering when you would chime in...

effpeetee
01-23-2009, 10:52 AM
bough
brought
cough
dough
drought
rough
slough
tough
trough
through

I think I do have some sympathy with the USA.

Frank

Apostropartheid
01-23-2009, 06:45 PM
@Cyan: I was wondering when you would chime in...

Surely you're just looking up the words now.

+ why me? =(

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum