View Full Version : The new OwT PHP Contact Form website

owt200x
01-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I used a free css template I found. I know it has some html errors I am planning on fixing those, most are <br> instead of <br /> type errors.

Just wondering what y'all thought. I removed the old site, so If you looked and remember what it looked like before, before and after comments would be nice too :) I hope this is a big improvement.

http://owtphpform.co.cc

Barry "OwT"

oesxyl
01-12-2009, 11:12 PM
I used a free css template I found. I know it has some html errors I am planning on fixing those, most are <br> instead of <br /> type errors.

Just wondering what y'all thought. I removed the old site, so If you looked and remember what it looked like before, before and after comments would be nice too :) I hope this is a big improvement.

http://owtphpform.co.cc

Barry "OwT"
install webdeveloper extension for firefox and use tools -> validate html, to validate the page step by step starting with first error:

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fowtphpform.co.cc%2F

for example I guess that if you remove <center> will get rid of first two errors because first will rise the second. So fix and revalidate untill you finish, :)

best regards

owt200x
01-13-2009, 02:42 AM
I know it has the errors, and im going to fix those. I was needing critics for the layout.

oesxyl
01-13-2009, 03:05 AM
I know it has the errors, and im going to fix those. I was needing critics for the layout.
I don't know, :)
layout it's fine in my opinion, I don't like light green bars from background and I would like the width of the page to be larger, but this is a matter of taste, pesonal opinion.
At this width it looks ok in 800x600.

best regards

PappaJohn
01-13-2009, 03:18 AM
I can't say that I'm a big fan of the color scheme, but like oesxyl said that's a matter of personal opinion.

It certainly looks better that the original.

One suggestion: style your forum to match the look of the rest of the site. As it is, it looks like the user has navigated to another site. http://phpbb.com has knowledge base articles on creating a custom theme.

owt200x
01-13-2009, 07:49 AM
ill check the css out to make it wider, I didn't like the green either, but of all the templates I downloaded, this one had a better layout for what I wanted. I was thinking more of a dark blue color scheme.

I will work on the forum too, one step at a time though. Thanks for the input.

gnomeontherun
01-13-2009, 03:22 PM
I feel like the font is the size of a pin head, can you bump it up for us? Some parts are just REALLY small. All of it, especially the tabs.

I think the header leaves something to be desired, but its a simple site with a simple purpose. Perhaps you can give it something a little more than just text, or at least style the text to give it some extra meaning.

I like the green, but I think theres just too much on my screen. If you get it to stretch, then I think it will be better, but also perhaps you can soften the background a little by fading it or something?

I think you can work with the text to emphasize your doing this for donations, particularly for your shelter. There is a search engine out there, not sure what its called but my friend uses it, and a certain percentage of the ad revenue goes to a charity or organization of your choice. People like that idea, I think you can push it a lot stronger to get more people to donate.

Yes the forum matching would be good, but perhaps a whole forum like that is overkill? I mean, you are more likely to get fed up dealing with possible spam. Perhaps it would be easier to use your contact form to email you instead of a forum. If you find yourself getting a lot of response, then perhaps a forum could be useful. However a forum without a community is like a DVD case without a disc. Its just an empty shell, and can give the impression that nobody uses the script if the post counts are really low. I also think that a contact form is not likely to have nearly so many updates as something like Wordpress or so. Just my thoughts on that.

I'm going to get picky, but I don't like the link tabs. The rollover state is just hard to read, with the white on light green. Perhaps if the font was bolded and larger, but still I think the color change is bad. Perhaps another color?

One last thing, in regards to the download, there isn't really any basic instructions on how to use it. I know...anyone should be able to use it without much trouble if they've used PHP before, but that could also save you a lot of trouble with simple questions from people who haven't opened a tar.gzip before or who don't look at the code before checking for the config.

owt200x
01-13-2009, 08:13 PM
thx jeremywilken, Ill change out the font size and make it bigger and a different color. I will also make the BG color a little lighter for now, dif color later. I will change out the forums tab for an instruction page, btw instructions are included with the download

thanks for the input

owt200x
01-14-2009, 01:56 AM
OK, I downloaded a new template, hopefully its better than the green blob one. I think its better, anyway. I also removed the forum menu link and put an instruction menu link.

please tell me this is better :)

oesxyl
01-14-2009, 02:21 AM
OK, I downloaded a new template, hopefully its better than the green blob one. I think its better, anyway. I also removed the forum menu link and put an instruction menu link.

please tell me this is better :)
yes is better, :) but is invalid markup too, validate and fix, :)
and put the donation button in a visible place.

best regards

PappaJohn
01-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Agreed on both points. It's better and I would definitely move the 'Donate' button - if people don't scroll down they won't see it and won't donate.

Rowsdower!
01-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I like the new design better as well but you should know that this template's menu structure breaks at small resolutions or small browser sizes. You may want to add a min-width to the page or something.

Here's what I see in FF2 when I drag the window size in a bit causing the menu to wrap. I have to mouseover the menu items to even be able to see them since they blend in with the background:

Apostropartheid
01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
I really would imagize (my word!) your title. Large text sizes get screwed around by ClearType.

owt200x
01-15-2009, 08:12 AM
im going to be looking at different css templates which have a better menu.

owt200x
01-16-2009, 08:15 AM
OK NOW!!!! I think I found the css template I'm going to stick with. There are still a few errors because of the xhtml but im going to fix those. This should be alot better.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum