View Full Version : advice and ideas needed please on a new logo.

01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi all,

i have decided to create a new logo which looks professional but im not sure

1, how to do it
2, how to tie it in with my site
3, what to use as a punch line

here (http://www.kernow-connect.com)is my website, (still being updated, not finished yet)

its a website where users can find the top items/offers/new releases from several stores

can anyone help me with any design ideas?

many thanks

01-12-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't want to discourage ideas, but perhaps you would be best to invest some in the site and hire a designer? Also the feeds seem to fail on most of the links, is this a problem?

01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
hi mate,

valid opinion :)

the feeds is being sorted out as we speak hope to get them all up and working this week, and the overall design is poor i agree, something that i will try and address soon but i cannot really afford a designer :)

01-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi Luke,

I'd have to agree with Jeremy that it's a big job and hiring some outside talent is probably your quickest solution.

That said, maybe consider a site template? A Google search for "CSS site templates" turns up a number of quality hits.

As far as a logo, the name of your site is pretty long and as such, isn't really suitable for a logo in and of itself. Maybe consider shortening it to "Kernow" or something like that? Or you could create a stylized "KC." On my design site (linked to in my sig), the name is pretty long so I just decided to make it the logo, with a smaller "sd" used for the favicon. For some ideas, do a Google image search for "web 2.0 logos" (here's just one result (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/27/101793493_de7c112c42_o.jpg)). Lots of smooth curves and sans-serif fonts.

And as far as how to do it, you'll need some graphics software like Photoshop, Illustrator or GIMP.

01-12-2009, 07:20 PM
I should also add that a logo isn't just a nice looking icon or something. This is the difficulty, because your site doesn't have a strong image at the moment. The majority of the personality comes from header, but it is not a logo really. I'm not saying images give all of the personality of a site, but the rest is plain text without any strong typography or arrangement. Like msuffern suggests, perhaps a new template/layout would be a good starting point? My logo for my new site was inspired during the process of making the template, not before since I didn't yet have the fonts down or the layout ready.

01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
My logo for my new site was inspired during the process of making the template, not before since I didn't yet have the fonts down or the layout ready.

I think it can go either way. At least, I've done it both ways--made the website body after the header/logo or used the header/logo to inspire the look and feel of the rest of the site.

The key thing is to do some preparation. Some people can just jump into a blank HTML file and start coding but I need to come up with a tentative color scheme (4-5 colors that will be used throughout the site), some textures and a general look and feel (smooth/clean vs. sketchy/textured vs. classic/structured or some other combination). Then decide on a site layout that presents the content to best effect and start creating graphics and assembling. Of course there's always some tinkering but the more I do before I start coding the more cohesive the eventual website tends to be.

01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
yeah i understand what you guys are saying, i will look for a template see if i can find one that i like :)

cheers for your views
much appreciated

01-13-2009, 03:22 AM
To me, the name 'Kernow Connect' doesn't suggest anything to do with online shopping (not that it has to). For that reason, I would try to come up with a logo, or at least a background image for the logo, that does suggest the site is for online shoppers.

01-14-2009, 02:25 PM
yeah thats a good idea mate thanks