View Full Version : Tomcat web server missing the Java environment variable?

Grant Palin
02-28-2003, 02:18 AM
I've downloaded and installed Tomcat onto my computer (Windows 98). When I click on startup.bat in the /bin folder, I get a Dos window saying the JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined. How can I define it? I've looked in the Tomcat documentation, but didn't find anything about setting environment variables.

02-28-2003, 03:53 AM
Are you sure you used the Windows binaries and not Linux? (Just making sure lol)

Anyway, also you need to be running Apache webserver I do believe.

Plus, you will need to install a Sun JDK (from Sun) in order to use Java.

Have you done any of this...?

::] krycek [::

Grant Palin
02-28-2003, 05:00 AM
Yes, I have installed the Windows format.

I have Apache installed as well, which works fine. I started it first, then tried running Tomcat, but no change.

As for the JDK, do you mean the Java JDK? If so, that should be installed...I'm pretty sure it was included with the Sun One Studio that I installed.

02-28-2003, 10:27 AM
I used this step by step tutorial a long time ago when i set up to run JSP on my system.

02-28-2003, 01:44 PM
To solve the problems you are having you need to make sure that you have a java SDK installed. You do not need to be running apache becuase tomcat has it's own built in http server. If you want to use Apache and tomcat together that is a little more involved.

Once you have installed the SDK, you will need to create an environment variable called JAVA_HOME with the value set to the path of you SDK installation. On my machine the value of JAVA_HOME is C:\j2sdk1.4.0 Under this directory you will find the java SDK files. If you can't find this you may want to try to find the file src.zip which will be in the root directory of the installation.

Once this is done you will be able to run the startup.bat file, and as if by magic tomcat will be up and running.

Hope this helps.

Grant Palin
03-03-2003, 01:24 AM
I reinstalled the sdk, and Tomcat works fine now. Thanks!!!:thumbsup: