View Full Version : using XML data in a HTML page

AMF
12-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi there,

I am creating a TV guide for a website, i have the XML file of which contains all the channel information needed and I have a HTML web page of which i want to feed the data into.
Can anyone give me any tips or point me to a tutorial somewhere that would help me figure out how to do this?

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks!

oesxyl
12-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi there,

I am creating a TV guide for a website, i have the XML file of which contains all the channel information needed and I have a HTML web page of which i want to feed the data into.
Can anyone give me any tips or point me to a tutorial somewhere that would help me figure out how to do this?

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks!
that's depend of what you can run on that server( I assume is a remote page), what programming language you know, how you want to do the processing, server side or client side.

best regards

AMF
12-17-2008, 10:36 AM
that's depend of what you can run on that server( I assume is a remote page), what programming language you know, how you want to do the processing, server side or client side.

best regards

Hey thanks for the reply :)

i know i can run php on the server and javascript if that helps.
the programming languages i know are java and html but i am using (and learning at the same time) javascript, css, html and php.
the processing should be server side (if that means that the xml data will be on a server and will upload to the webpage from the server?)

sorry if i am not really clear enough, ive not done this type of thing before thats why i am looking for a bit of help :)

thanks again!

oesxyl
12-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Hey thanks for the reply :)

i know i can run php on the server and javascript if that helps.
the programming languages i know are java and html but i am using (and learning at the same time) javascript, css, html and php.
the processing should be server side (if that means that the xml data will be on a server and will upload to the webpage from the server?)
some solution:
- only with php on server side, you can use one of this extensions:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/refs.xml.php

I prefere dom extension and in your case if I use this I also use xslt to transform the feed.

- you can use only javascript, this is one example( same idea with xslt):

http://www.mindlence.com/WP/?page_id=224

another idea is to load xml( same way as in previous link) and using usual methods of manipulating the dom tree to insert data in html page( without xslt)

- a mixed method, ajax, some thing php others javascript. You can find some frameworks which can simplify this( and in my opinion add new complication, :)).

sorry if i am not really clear enough, ive not done this type of thing before thats why i am looking for a bit of help :)
no problem, this questions are normal. :)

best regards

AMF
12-17-2008, 11:10 AM
some solution:
- only with php on server side, you can use one of this extensions:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/refs.xml.php

I prefere dom extension and in your case if I use this I also use xslt to transform the feed.

- you can use only javascript, this is one example( same idea with xslt):

http://www.mindlence.com/WP/?page_id=224

another idea is to load xml( same way as in previous link) and using usual methods of manipulating the dom tree to insert data in html page( without xslt)

- a mixed method, ajax, some thing php others javascript. You can find some frameworks which can simplify this( and in my opinion add new complication, :)).

no problem, this questions are normal. :)

best regards

thank you so much :) i'll get onto reading that stuff and see how it comes along! :thumbsup:

oesxyl
12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
thank you so much :) i'll get onto reading that stuff and see how it comes along! :thumbsup:
you are welcome :). When you are decided or if you have other question/problems post, :)

best regards

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum