View Full Version : Best Web Tracking Software

explosivebeer
12-11-2008, 06:03 AM
I've been looking around for the best web tracking software but have yet to find any definitive answers. I'll probably go with Google Analytics by default but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, or even reaffirmations for GA. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

FWDrew
12-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Google analytics all the way for me.

explosivebeer
12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Cool. Thanks for the confirmation. I'll probably start using that today but I'm always open to hearing about other alternatives if anyone has had any good experiences with different tracking systems.

VIPStephan
12-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Depends on what you want to track. Sales? Visits?

StatCounter (http://statcounter.com) anyone?

gnomeontherun
12-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Sometimes a basic server side tracking system functions really well in conjunction with Google Analytics. I think it is important to use both, most hosts provide something like AWStats. So don't ignore those stats, it can be good to compare. However, do not use two client side tracking (two that use JS or something) because that will start to bog down your site if too many scripts are linked.

explosivebeer
12-13-2008, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the info Jeremy. I'll look into server side options too.

GoGo7
12-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Google Analytics should be able to provide most analysis you need. Beside it is free to used.

h_gibbs
12-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Google Analytics is BEST but if you also have other option such as AWstats or Webalizer which comes with your cPanel hosting control panel for free.
They give you detailed information about your site visitors, traffic details [ daily/weekly/monthly etc...] keywords used, error pages etc....
I always AWstats for getting more about my site.....

gnomeontherun
12-14-2008, 03:22 PM
The biggest problem with Google Analytics or many of the other javascript based ones is that they require you to place their code on every page, it requires more time to load (usually not much but still adds up), and doesn't work for people or platforms without javascript. So while it is great and useful, its important to have something on your server, which any reputable host will have something.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum