View Full Version : I'm new to Flash Programming, help me get started :)

Noobtaculus
12-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Okay, as the title of this thread may serve to indicate; I'm a Flash nuoob. I did some animations in junior year of high school but for Flash, that's a bout it. Flash MX 2004, I think it was.
I know Java basics, but still learning.
I'm not sure if you people have heard, but Samsung is going to release a new PMP capable of running .swf files. The Samsung YP-P3 is a touch-screen oriented media player (particular features include Bluetooth capabilities -- similar to its predecessor, the YP-P2 and haptic touch feedback). It is apparently to be released next year, here are some pics of its Flash stuff:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/generationmp3/3027482578/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/generationmp3/3027482706/
and somewhere in this video it is shown, the vids longish by the way :p
http://www.dailymotion.com/gmp3/video/x7fuud_preview-samsung-p3-par-gmp3_tech
I wanna get some basics down for programming apps and games in Flash.
If you don't want check the device, you need to know: that it's a 272X480 widescreen (touch) mp3 player.
Is it possible to code .swf files for this and can someone help me get started?
:) Thanks, in advance.

gnomeontherun
12-10-2008, 10:18 AM
There is a thread in the Flash forum with a lot of tutorials, but honestly if you want to really learn Flash, find a book that fits your needs best and purchase it. It will save you a lot of headaches, and will more than pay for itself if you actually read it through!

ricmetal
12-10-2008, 09:25 PM
true that
i read some of o'reilley's Actionscript 2.0 a few years ago
awesome read for a technical book

i advise you to experiment as you read or just read for fun
to confusing if you try and learn everything by reading it through without trying out the codes :D :p

Noobtaculus
12-13-2008, 12:11 AM
I looked up Actionscript and the O'Reilley book looks really good. I just wanna know; how similar is this to Java? I checked out some sample code and it looks pretty similar. There are packages and stuff etc. And do you guys think Actionscript is the right thing for programming Flash on this PMP? Remember, it takes .swf files.

gnomeontherun
12-13-2008, 12:44 AM
I know nothing about the PMP, and really would assume that you are targeting a small niche market, so that would be a difficult assessment.

AS3 is similar to Java in the sense that it is OOP (object oriented programming), but AS2 is not (which Flash MX 2004 does not support AS3). So you either need to learn something that is far from Java (AS2) or upgrade to at least version CS3 to get the power of AS3.

Noobtaculus
12-14-2008, 03:29 AM
I know nothing about the PMP, and really would assume that you are targeting a small niche market, so that would be a difficult assessment.

AS3 is similar to Java in the sense that it is OOP (object oriented programming), but AS2 is not (which Flash MX 2004 does not support AS3). So you either need to learn something that is far from Java (AS2) or upgrade to at least version CS3 to get the power of AS3.

Alright :D thanks. The PMP probably won't have a Flash games "marketplace" and I'm just getting into this for fun :)
So .swf files are the offspring of AS2 and/or AS3 code then?

gnomeontherun
12-14-2008, 10:19 AM
.SWF files are like the compilation of both the actionscript and the editing done in the GUI. I wouldn't say offspring, but think of how you have to compile a language like C++ before it can be run...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum