View Full Version : Just some questions concerning a web project of mine

12-10-2008, 12:26 AM
So i plan on resurrecting an old website of mine (won't mention the name as of now), but i wanted it to be a fully Web2.0 standard, and by this i refer to both design and integration of community into the main content of the site.

Now, what i want are Forums and a commenting system where people can comment on posted articles, news stories, etc...

Can someone tell me how i would go about doing this or what language(s) or server side things will i need for the Forums and commenting system, everything else i can take care of already. Just a little bit of direction on those two systems would be wonderful,t hanks!

12-10-2008, 01:36 AM
The comments can be stored in a database along with the posted articles. Are you using a database already in your site?

12-10-2008, 01:50 AM
at this time no, because my skill really only encompasses HTML/XHTML and CSS at this time. I have never setup a database of any sort. Could i get some hints as to how or what will allow me to do this and then what type of language I will need to use (ie: PHP, Perl) in order to communicate with that databse

12-10-2008, 04:06 AM
IMO PHP/MySQL would be the best option as its on most servers and there is a lot of documentation out there. Search on www.tizag.com for a mysql tutorial. It goes through step by step telling how to interact with a database with php including making the database itself. Usually though this is done through the control panel of your site.

12-12-2008, 03:41 AM
would i be able to run a local server on my comp to test everything out before i go live on the net?

12-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Yes, take a look at XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html)

12-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the help, that XAMPP is what i've been looking fo. Now then, i know i seem to be asking a lot, but the web project i'm working on is designed to teach me things and go above and beyond previous web projects. Do you all know of any tutorial sites that can teach me how to put a comment system in place on my site?