View Full Version : Converting a british date to a timestamp

12-09-2008, 08:13 PM

At the moment I have some dates stored in my database as a string in british format (DD/MM/YYYY). I need to convert these dates into timestamps and then put them back into the database.

Converting them is easy enough using mktime() which turns this into a Unix Timestamp. Inserting that just puts in todays timestamp by default. I tried using the date() function to create a timestamp in mysql format (which I believe is YYYYMMDDhhmmss) but this didn't work either. If anybody could help me, that'd be awesome. Anyway, here's some of the code I was using to try and get this to work.

$date = explode("/",$articleResult['DateAdded']);

$newDate = mktime(0,0,0,$date[1],$date[0],$date[2]);

$newDate2 = date("YmdHis", $newDate);

mysql_query("UPDATE new_article SET DateAdded2 = '".$newDate2."' WHERE ArticleID = '".$articleResult['ArticleID']."'");

12-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Use the mysql STR_TO_DATE() function directly in a single UPDATE query - http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/date-and-time-functions.html#function_str-to-date

There is no need to select the data, loop through it, convert it, and UPDATE the DateAdded2 column. Just UPDATE the DateAdded2 column directly.