...

View Full Version : Validating your site?



stfc_boy
12-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Hello People,

Ive just built a website to XHTML1.0 Strict specification and checked things like fonts Ive used being available to all users on the web.

However, Ive just been told about the WCAG and certification i.e. AA certicication, AAA certification etc

But Im wondering if you can get yourself too bogged down with all accessibility rules and regulations you will drive yourself mad!

So I was wondering what processes you guys go through to check a site, ie a check list:

1) Build site
2) Check site fonts used
3) Check with the W3C validator
Etc

Reason I ask is I have been told two different points of view,

- A get your site WCAG valid

And another

- Validate your site, by all means, but in most cases though the majority of your site audience (like 95+%) IS able to access your site without a problem. Rather than spending more time to get the remaining 5% accessible wouldn't it be a smarter business decision to build another site that is 95% accessible rather than nitpicking the remaining 5%?

So what do you guys think and what steps do you go through?

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-08-2008, 10:45 PM
It really depends on where you are located as well. Some countries make it illegal to not be valid in some certifications.

WebSight
12-13-2008, 08:47 AM
So what do you guys think and what steps do you go through?

I have heard that the validator can produce some inacurate results at times so it should be used as a guide not the gospel.

Evaluate the results yourself and be as accurate as possible. What I would recomend it to try the site from a multitude of browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) and platforms (PC, Mac, Linux, iPhone, etc.) if possible. This will show most problems of the site.



EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum