View Full Version : Need date script that works in NS

Deanna475
07-07-2002, 06:26 AM
I'm preparing my online resume and have run into a glitch. I want to include the date only -- not the time -- on my cover letter page but every date JavaScript I've tried buggers up in NS 4.7 (don't know about NS 6 as I don't have it installed). While the date shows up perfectly in IE, the year always gets jumbled in NS. For example:

Saturday, July 6, 102

or

Saturday, July 6, 19102

Does anyone have a date only script that works in NS? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can hardly expect to get the job if I can't get the date right on the first page!

A1ien51
07-07-2002, 06:39 AM
basically,,,,netscape looks at the date a different way

one way to do it is this

if(Year<2000){Year+=1900;}

Deanna475
07-07-2002, 07:27 AM
Hi A1ien51 and thanks for the quick response. Your solution seems simple, but NS still doesn't like it. This is the most simple script I was trying and it would seem to fit perfectly with your solution:

<SCRIPT type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2">
var mydate=new Date()
var year=mydate.getYear()
if (year<2000)
year="19"+year
var day=mydate.getDay()
var month=mydate.getMonth()
var daym=mydate.getDate()
var dayarray=new Array("Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday")
var montharray=new Array("January","February","March","April","May","June","July","August","September","October","November","December")
document.write("<font color='162040' face='Arial' size=2>"+dayarray[day]+", "+montharray[month]+" "+daym+", "+year+"<\/font>")
</SCRIPT

I inserted {Year+=1900;} immediately after the code in red but that doesn't do the trick in NS. The date shows up as:

Sunday, July 7, 102

BTW, you need a space between the if (Year or else you a "year not defined" error. But that's neither here nor there because with or without the space, it still doesn't work in NS.

I got this brainstorm of an idea while looking at your code and thought, "I don't need to worry about years less than 2000 since I want the current year, which is greater than 2000." So I removed this part of the script:

if (year<2000)
year="19"+year

And while it worked in IE, NS didn't like that solution either! It still showed the year as 102

Brainstorm #2: I decided to remove all references to the year and enter the year as simple text:

var mydate=new Date()
var day=mydate.getDay()
var dayarray=new Array("Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday")
var montharray=new Array("January","February","March","April","May","June","July","August","September","October","November","December")
document.write("<font color='162040' face='Arial' size=2>"+dayarray[day]+", "+montharray[month]+" "+daym+", 2002<\/font>")
</SCRIPT>

And this worked in IE, but NS didn't like that solution either! It still showed the year as 102

<sigh> It's a simple little date code. How can NS bugger up something so simple? (rhetorical question -- I know why!) I would say to heck with the date appearing correctly in NS but it would be my luck that the employer who wants to hire me is using NS !!!!

A1ien51
07-07-2002, 03:24 PM
Here is the code you need

var mydate=new Date()
var year=mydate.getYear()
if(year<2000){year+=1900;}
var day=mydate.getDay()
document.write("<font color='162040' face='Arial' size=2>"+dayarray[day]+", "+montharray[month]+" "+daym+", "+year+"<\/font>")
</SCRIPT>

Deanna475
07-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Yep, that does the trick! The difference one line of code makes! Thank you very much.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum