View Full Version : New web pages on a search engine

sonofjack
12-03-2008, 10:38 AM
I've recently changed my website from having htm files to all php files. This means that in Google some of the old htm pages still show up.
Is there something I need to do to get rid of them, or will Google do all this for me in time? Anyone know how long it will take? The php site only went up late last night.
Thanks

cher
12-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Google will not do it immediately. You have to follow "wait and see" approach. The next time when it spiders your site, it will have a look and thereafter in subsequent visits, it changes your listings. So there is no fixed time schedule for it.

sonofjack
12-03-2008, 02:31 PM
okay thanks for that. I'll sit it out
Cheers

pat-j
12-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I would suggest that you keep all the old files in place and use your htaccess file to do a 301 redirect to the relevant php page.

If you just delete your old files then google will not like that.

In time google will update your site but you may loose ranking if you do not put propper redirects in place. Also putting propper redirects in place will keep your page rank in place.

sonofjack
12-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Ah right. Thats new territory to me. Is that an easy thing to do? I've never dealt with htaccess files before.
I'd best put the old site back up then.
Thanks

Paul

domainsatretail
12-04-2008, 06:27 PM
I agree with pat-j. Whenever I change a file name such as renaming the extension, I always do a 301 redirect.

If you're running Linux (Apache), then you can create a file ".htaccess" and put it in the root of your hosting. Then put something like this in it:

redirect 301 /page.html /page.php

It still takes time to show up in Google, but if people find your old listing and the file isnt there they will still get to the right page, until Google updates their listings.

sonofjack
12-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi

Thankyou for your help guys.

Though I tried it out with an htaccess file that listed such things as
Redirect 301 /about.htm /about.php
and got back an 500 Internal Error which I've been desperately trying to sort out.
In the end I uploaded a htaccess file that said
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule (.*).htm$ /$1.php

but this has caused a few pages in folders not to display as I don't have php files. So I'm still trying to work out what went wrong at the beginning.
I'm waiting to hear back from my host provider.
Do you guys have any clues?

Thanks

Paul

oesxyl
12-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi

Thankyou for your help guys.

Though I tried it out with an htaccess file that listed such things as
Redirect 301 /about.htm /about.php
and got back an 500 Internal Error which I've been desperately trying to sort out.
In the end I uploaded a htaccess file that said
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule (.*).htm$ /$1.php

but this has caused a few pages in folders not to display as I don't have php files. So I'm still trying to work out what went wrong at the beginning.
I'm waiting to hear back from my host provider.
Do you guys have any clues?

Thanks

Paul
do you use php to build your content? if not have no sense to do that.
google don't care your files extension, html or php.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=76329&query=friendly+url&topic=&type=

regards

sonofjack
12-09-2008, 05:14 PM
It still lists htm files in Google search results which I no longer have. So I just wanted to redirect those particular pages rather than every htm file on my site.
Just wondered why that original code didn't work if anyone out there knows.
Cheers

oesxyl
12-09-2008, 05:38 PM
It still lists htm files in Google search results which I no longer have. So I just wanted to redirect those particular pages rather than every htm file on my site.
Just wondered why that original code didn't work if anyone out there knows.
Cheers
this is normal and will take a time until google will replace old links from his index with what is now.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=70897&topic=15256

regards

owt200x
12-09-2008, 11:34 PM
you could always add your website to be in the "to be spidered" list, which will spider in 24 hours or so ( my website always updated in less that 24 hours )

go here http://www.google.com/addurl

sonofjack
12-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the help everyone.
Much appreciated.

I've noticed on some Google results that a website will also have a menu listing the different pages underneath it?

eg

BBC - HomepageSkip to content; Skip to bbc.co.uk navigation; Skip to bbc.co.uk search .... The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites. ...
www.bbc.co.uk/ - 52k - Cached - Similar pages

Sport Football
Sport
Iplayer
The News
Weather
Radio
More results from bbc.co.uk

How does this work and how can I do it with my site?

Thanks

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum