View Full Version : Multiple classes for a single element?

mOrloff
12-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Why have I not come across this before?
Are there support problems, display inconsistencies, or some other issues?
I was just dissecting Stu Nicholls' ProDroplineDropdown CSS Menu, and came across his use of 2 classes (seperated by a space) for certain elements.

This was definitely a HOLY COW! moment, especially since I was just wishing for this yesterday.

Are there any reasons to NOT do this?
What is the limit on how many classes you can assign to a single element (for curiosity sake)?

~ Mo

GardenGnome2
12-02-2008, 10:03 PM
You read it just right. You can have as many classes as you want, which makes .class more flexible than #id. You can only have 1 id per element, however. I'm not saying, though, id is bad to use. You should use classes and ids for certain uses.

mOrloff
12-02-2008, 10:32 PM
... You can only have 1 id per element...
My understanding was that you are also limited to 1 instance of any ID for an entire page. Am I at least accurate with that?

~ Mo

gnomeontherun
12-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Yes, IDs are allowed once per page. Classes are reusable, so multiple elements can have the same class, and elements can have multiple classes.

jkd
12-02-2008, 11:11 PM
I seem to remember older versions of IE having issues with:

.class1.class2.class3.blablabla {
/* properties */
}

But that is the only issue that can crop up with multiple classes (that is, selecting elements specifically having multiple classes).

mOrloff
12-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Now I've got a cool new tool :D

~ Mo

dwayne12
12-03-2008, 02:45 AM
Using multiple CSS classes on a HTML element is fine. You can't have more than one ID per page. But when you implement CSS class chaining you have to think to yourself - is what I am doing worth this much effort? Or could I simply use an ID instead and bundle all of the code into the ID selector instead.

Don't just use classes because you can.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum