View Full Version : Web editing programs

Jon W
11-26-2008, 12:29 PM
What are some good free code editing programs for stuff like html, css, php... I'm using notepad plus right now, but its pissing me off so I want to try and look for something different. lol

Thanks

Fou-Lu
11-26-2008, 12:37 PM
I use the zend plugin for eclipse.
Its not that great for html, but its pretty good for PHP. Few minor scoping issues, but nowhere near as bad as the last plugin I had >.<

Otherwise, notepad. Thats what I used until like what, 1 1/2 years ago. Only reason I started with an IDE is because my java work was pissing me off, and I hated compiling it all the time >.<

gnomeontherun
11-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Notepad++ is making you unhappy? I find it about as simple as it gets, but stepping up to Eclipse from that is a big jump. I use both actually, and Dreamweaver too but that's not free.

What exactly do you want in a new program, or what do you not like about your current one?

BasharTeg
11-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm a big fan of SciTE, the lighter the better.

jamestooks
11-26-2008, 06:15 PM
I like Textpad, but you'll need to download a document class (which will be user created) in order for it to correctly highlight the syntax of the files you wish to use. Some are already there, such as HTML, but PHP does require a new one to be downloaded.

Like BasherTeg said, the lighter the better.

Millenia
11-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Text editors are pretty much the best thing to code with.
It sounds like you want (and would mis-use) a big clunky program. Like Dreamweaver.
DON'T! Using Dreamweaver or any other HTML editing program purely for the WYSIWYG is stupid. It creates horrible code. By all means use a program like this, but refrain from using it this way.

I would recommend Notepad ++ , seems it is the best way to make clean code and easy...Oh wait...

oracleguy
11-26-2008, 08:33 PM
I use gVim (http://www.vim.org/download.php) for most of my web development coding these days. It can syntax highlight an insane amount of file types however I would warn you that it can be a pain to use at first.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum