View Full Version : long loading images

livingproof
11-24-2008, 11:02 PM
So, for my website i have a big high quality background. But it takes far too long to load (like about a minute, and i have a pretty fast computer). so, can i make it load faster without losing its size/quality. I'm not so sure that there is such a solution but i thought I'd give it a shot.

gnomeontherun
11-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Your computer speed has mostly nothing to do with how fast the image loads, its all about how much bandwidth your site has and that your internet connection provides. So if your background is .5 MB, on a 56Kb connection thats going to take some time. On a cable connection it would go faster, but basically there is nothing you can do to make it load faster as it is.

You should look into reducing the size or saving it in better formats. For example, if it is a bitmap then save it in a compressed format like PNG or JPG which has a much better ratio.

Ultimately it boils down to having a 'cool' background image the size of montana which takes eons to load, compressing the image more, or getting creative and finding another background method.

FWDrew
11-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Jeremy has provided some wise words. In addition, if you have program such as photoshop or the gimp, you can take out unused colors. A google search will bring this up. After you have done that, you can use a cool firefox plugin to reduce the size even more without touching the quality, see http://smu****.com/

Best Wishes,

Drew

EDIT-lol, the forum block the website as a curse word. the site is smush it.com without the space :D

BasharTeg
11-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Care to link to the image? Maybe we can give you some more in-depth advice if we know what the image is.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum