View Full Version : Interesting weekend article - We Are Typists First, Programmers Second

tagnu
11-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Found this article on Typing interesting.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001188.html

Happy weekend guys.:thumbsup:

BasharTeg
11-24-2008, 07:05 PM
The best coder I know happens to be the best typist I know. I've never seen a person navigate so fast via keyboard, and he does it on both PC and Mac.

Apostropartheid
11-25-2008, 05:33 PM
*splutters* I've never known a programmer who uses that silly finger pecking technique. Then again, I've never met any programmers. But I know that I was a self-respecting typist before I got into coding...

borntoslow
11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
i use the single finger technique, it makes it more exciting when you look at the screen and relise you have jumbled all your code up, it kills two birds with one stone...you see i like crosswords and if you ever looked at the source code of any of my stuff...it looks like a crossword, i never could finish crosswords...i never could finish any of my programs.

dlx08
12-12-2008, 02:26 AM
Actually, I do the finger pecking technique too... once you have it mastered it works fine:thumbsup:

jerry62704
12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
*splutters* I've never known a programmer who uses that silly finger pecking technique. Then again, I've never met any programmers. But I know that I was a self-respecting typist before I got into coding...

I know a lot of programmers that do the hunt and peck method, but then I've been doing this since the 70s. I'm not a good typist (50wpm was my best), but I do OK.

h_gibbs
12-14-2008, 03:08 PM
A friend of mine is a professional webprogrammer who just use his keyboard at lightning speed and rarely make any spelling mistake. He had never joined any typing institute for getting his figures on keyboard. IMO a good programmer should also be a good typist :thumbsup:

MrAntonio
01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Hmm, this too is interesting to me finger pecking technique. Very informative article, I as have friends and acquaintances who are simply extremely ready to surprise with the skill. I hope that when some day I will reach such level, ability all so to automate causes simply indescribable delight, it is really cool! :)

demtron
01-29-2009, 06:29 AM
I took a 6-week typing course with I was 12 years old and didn't really build my skills after that. I have terrible finger placement - depending on my mood, I use between four and six fingers. My goofy style results in about 80 WPM and few mistakes whether coding or writing plain English.

tagnu
01-29-2009, 01:59 PM
And you have 80 WPM. That's really good.

effpeetee
01-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I type better than I code!

I'm a lousy typist!!!

Frank

(Honesty is the best policy) innit?

flynch01
01-30-2009, 01:40 AM
Just tried out that typing test.

My results, which I'm quite proud of actually:

Your speed was: 98wpm.

You made 2 mistakes, your mistakes are shown in bold text:

MARLEY was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose to put is hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail. Mind! I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, that there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmorgery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or in the COuntry's done for.

Took a second one to try and improve

Your speed was: 95wpm.

Congratulations! You made no mistakes, practice does make perfect.

It was seven o'clock of a very warm evening in the Seeonee hills when Father Wolf woke up from his day's rest, scratched himself, yawned, and spread out his paws one after the other to get rid of the sleepy feeling in their tips. Mother Wolf lay with her big gray nose dropped across her four tumbling, squealing cubs, and the moon shone into the mouth of the cave where they all lived. "Augrh!" said Father Wolf. "It is time to hunt again." He was going to spring down the hill when a little shadow with a bushy tail crossed the threshold and whined: "Good luck go with you, O Chief of the Wolves."

zooeyglass
02-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Actually, I do the finger pecking technique too... once you have it mastered it works fine:thumbsup:

i would love to see someone type so fast using the finger pecking technique. i bet it looks cool. :D

rafiki
02-26-2009, 04:38 PM
i would love to see someone type so fast using the finger pecking technique. i bet it looks cool. :D

I'm not too bad at pecking but much prefer the two handed touch typing technique.

zooeyglass
03-02-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm not too bad at pecking but much prefer the two handed touch typing technique.

yea i use my two hands too, but i'm not used to using my pinkies for typing. they're pretty weak. i only use it when i press enter. lol

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum