View Full Version : height:100.03% doesnt force scrollbar in ff anymore

samtaleterapi
11-22-2008, 04:14 PM
height:100.03% doesnt force scrollbar in ff anymore - and doesnt in chrome either
are there other solutions?
thanks
rasmus

coothead
11-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi there samtaleterapi,

have you considered..

body {
overflow-y:scroll;
}

coothead

samtaleterapi
11-22-2008, 07:35 PM
i have now
works fine in ff but doesnt have any effect in chrome
any other ideas?
(i just found out that height:101% works, but it adds height unlike the 100.03%)
(and maybe i should mention that im using a 1 column design described by http://www.pmob.co.uk/temp/1colcentred.htm)
thanks
rasmus

coothead
11-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi there samtaleterapi,

you could try this...

<style type="text/css">
html,body {
height:100%;
margin:0;
padding:0;
padding-bottom:1px;
}
</style>

coothead

samtaleterapi
11-22-2008, 07:57 PM
better than 101 but still adds height
do you know why 100.03 doesnt work anymore?
is it because of ff3? i seem to remember i was using ff2 when i worked
rasmus

Apostropartheid
11-22-2008, 08:48 PM
better than 101 but still adds height
do you know why 100.03 doesnt work anymore?
is it because of ff3? i seem to remember i was using ff2 when i worked
rasmus
I think that Firefox 3 prefers to round to the nearest pixel rather than assume subpixels. Why exactly do you need a scrollbar? Is it that you want it to look like it does in IE? Because, really, users don't notice...

samtaleterapi
11-23-2008, 08:24 AM
i just dont want the content to move sideways when i navigate to a page longer than the screen
rasmus

Doctor_Varney
11-23-2008, 04:25 PM
height:100.03% doesnt force scrollbar in ff anymore - and doesnt in chrome either
are there other solutions?
thanks
rasmus

You want to force a scrollbar to what? A div? A frame? Or the whole page?

Scrollbars generally don't appear, when there is nothing to scroll. Therefore, no need for a scrollbar. In which case, shouldn't you be trying to force the scrollbar out, instead of trying to force one, where it is unnecessary?

i just dont want the content to move sideways when i navigate to a page longer than the screen
rasmus

It shouldn't do, unless the page is wider. I wouldn't pander to it, by forcing a good browser to act stupid. Better, I think, to work on making the page fit the average anticipated screen conditions. Even then, you can bet your sweet life, someone, somewhere's going to be viewing your page in a screen smaller than your content... So scrolling, somewhere, at some time, is inevitable.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x103/Doctor_Varney/signature.gif

samtaleterapi
11-23-2008, 05:47 PM
the site in question is www.samtaleterapi.com
on the /index page the content generally wont need a vertical scroller, but /spiseforstyrrelser will
when i navigate to /spiseforstyrrelser from /index the content jumps leftwise because the effective window width is smaller on account of the scrollbar
the html, body {height:101%} forces a vertical scrollbar on all the pages - effectively getting rid of the jumping of content, because the windows width is already smaller
thats what i want
sorry not to make that cleat from the start
thanks for the interest
rasmus

Doctor_Varney
11-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Okay... Well, is this (http://nopeople.com/CSS/vertical_scrollbar/index.html) of any use to you? I just found it and thought of you.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x103/Doctor_Varney/signature.gif

samtaleterapi
11-23-2008, 07:12 PM
{height:100.1%} works the same way {height:100%; padding-bottom:1px;} does: it adds height so i can sroll ever so slightly (which 100.03% didnt)
but i have two solutions now and nearly what i wanted
thank you everyone
rasmus
edit: actually 100.1% doesnt work in chrome and safari the way 100% and 1px bottom padding does
i tried html, body {height:100%} and body {overflow-y:scroll} which worked perfectly (didnt even add height) everywhere but ie where two vertical scrollbars appeared

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum