View Full Version : Better visibility for the "New Thread" button

logictrap
11-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I have trouble finding the "New Thread" button.

Maybe it's just me, but if not perhaps consider making it a brighter color or changing the design so it's more prominent.

Thanks.

ohgod
11-21-2008, 06:52 PM
well, you must have found it

WA
11-22-2008, 02:18 AM
I've uploaded two new buttons in place of the original "new thread" and "reply" buttons. How do you guys like or dislike them?

twodayslate
11-22-2008, 03:39 AM
I've uploaded two new buttons in place of the original "new thread" and "reply" buttons. How do you guys like or dislike them?the quality is terrible. looks like they were saved in paint.

This site needs a redesign. Anyone want to help?

logictrap
11-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Wow - thanks for updating the buttons. They're much more visible now.

FWDrew
11-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Dont like them at all, bring back the old ones. Also, whats up with the quality/compression on the new buttons? It looks pretty poor. They also dont fit with the color scheme of the site.

Just my opinion,

Drew

Edit-Also, if your going to go with a new one, I suggest to make them less rounded. The whole forum is based on a very cut and squared look, not a rounded one. I think this will blend better with the current design.

WA
11-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Ok, bear with me as I just play around with different styles. How about these that you see now? Better or worse?

FWDrew
11-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Ok, bear with me as I just play around with different styles. How about these that you see now? Better or worse?

Experiment with them as much as you like, I promise I'll still come back :D

Those are better, still not sure about the colors, if you could adjust the hue/saturation to match the green of the forum more, but I like the more "square" approach.

Regards,

Drew

gnomeontherun
11-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I think they should be flash buttons that wiggle when you roll over them, and have a marquee, and bright reds and blues.

(Actually I think it would be just cool if all the buttons were standardized.)

VIPStephan
11-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Huh? Did I just dream of posting here or did my post vanish?
Well, anway, what I was gonna say is: I’m looking at a green/orange button with some red lines currently. I like the contrast of green vs. orange and the font used. But those red lines look really ’90s somehow, and the drop shadow is way too obtrusive. Doesn’t look very much like … *ahem* … “web 2.0”.

What I could imagine is a purely orange button as a real contrast to the green of the site, that would definitely make it stand out. Have a look at http://welovecss.com/ to see how nice that combination of green and orange can be. But used sparingly such an orange button can be really eye-catching.

oesxyl
11-22-2008, 04:01 PM
I think they should be flash buttons that wiggle when you roll over them, and have a marquee, and bright reds and blues.

(Actually I think it would be just cool if all the buttons were standardized.)
Is a matter of option here, I don't have flash installed and I don't want it.

I tend to focus on it instead of content. I guess this will produce a chain of changes, :)

best regards

logictrap
11-22-2008, 06:00 PM
How about something like this?

twodayslate
11-22-2008, 06:47 PM
how about a new design all together?
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5272/codezy6.gif
Change is good people.
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6351/codeqx6.gif
(Note: I stayed with the green color theme)

Millenia
11-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Change is good people.

I totally agree, I love the second one :)

oracleguy
11-22-2008, 07:29 PM
How about something like this?

That isn't bad but I don't see how that is any more visible that the button design you said wasn't very obvious.

twodayslate
11-22-2008, 07:33 PM
I totally agree, I love the second one :)
So we want a redesign?

That isn't bad but I don't see how that is any more visible that the button design you said wasn't very obvious.A new logo would mean new buttons...

Millenia
11-22-2008, 07:38 PM
So we want a redesign?Well I think it could attract more people.
Although I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before...

Apostropartheid
11-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Is a matter of option here, I don't have flash installed and I don't want it.
I daresay Jeremy was joking. As a fellow patron of good taste, I think he'd go into cardiac arrest if this happened =P

So we want a redesign?
A new logo would mean new buttons...
I think that we should take it a bit slower. CF will eventually need a new design to keep it fresh, but, to be honest, I would prefer just to standardize the button theme rather than offload more work onto WA's shoulders.

gnomeontherun
11-22-2008, 08:01 PM
I daresay Jeremy was joking. As a fellow patron of good taste, I think he'd go into cardiac arrest if this happened =P

I think that we should take it a bit slower. CF will eventually need a new design to keep it fresh, but, to be honest, I would prefer just to standardize the button theme rather than offload more work onto WA's shoulders.

Yes I was joking. I do not actually want Flash buttons or marquees or bright red/blue colors. :rolleyes: The point I was also arguing is that I think the buttons should all be essentially the same kind of button, so the New Thread, Quote, Edit, etc. buttons should all have the same visual appeal so there is less confusion over what is or is not a button. I would take a crack at making a button template for them all, but its still up to WA.

As far as 'new design' this has been talked about before and really boils down to everyone having great ideas about how to improve the site. Honestly it is simple and clean as it is. I'm afraid if a major overhaul was done that it could make the site defunct. It is important for a site administrator to move slowly on things most of the time, so not to disrupt the site functionality for users. SOMEDAY there will be a theme upgrade I'm sure, but not TODAY.

@twodayslate Its a nice logo, although similar to your PBGun one, but regardless its not just a logo fix. It would take someone who can make a full vBulletin template. I believe this theme is already very custom and probably took a lot of work.

twodayslate
11-22-2008, 08:01 PM
I think that we should take it a bit slower. CF will eventually need a new design to keep it fresh, but, to be honest, I would prefer just to standardize the button theme rather than offload more work onto WA's shoulders.Why can't the users make it?

WA
11-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Huh? Did I just dream of posting here or did my post vanish?
Well, anway, what I was gonna say is: I’m looking at a green/orange button with some red lines currently. I like the contrast of green vs. orange and the font used. But those red lines look really ’90s somehow, and the drop shadow is way too obtrusive. Doesn’t look very much like … *ahem* … “web 2.0”.

What I could imagine is a purely orange button as a real contrast to the green of the site, that would definitely make it stand out. Have a look at http://welovecss.com/ to see how nice that combination of green and orange can be. But used sparingly such an orange button can be really eye-catching.

Hmm no posts were deleted in this thread, so maybe you were dreaming? :D

WA
11-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for creating the logos and buttons guys. I may use them at some point. My limited design expertise means generally I try and make incremental changes to the forum style, slowly, or if members come out and tell me something is "ugly". lol

logictrap
11-22-2008, 09:36 PM
That isn't bad but I don't see how that is any more visible that the button design you said wasn't very obvious.

It's a subtle change but I think the green circle & arrow make it a little more prominent and keeps it consistent with the general look of the design. Maybe try it for a day and see.

The page where I was having trouble finding the button there was a dark sponsors logo right above the button and very little or no separation between the button and the ad.

On other pages where there is more contrast the button is more visible.

VIPStephan
11-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Change is good people.

While I think these are nice sketches I also think this is going a little too far into the design(er) direction. After all, this is a coding forum and people here come to get info on coding, not to see a pretty site so there’s just no actual need for a super fancy design.

The main issue is to have it clean and well organized. And if the odd visitor is having a hard time to find a button that’s not good but also not such a big thing that we would have to question the entire site design.

Yes, change is good. But there’s something special to the color scheme of this site already which no other site has and I would be sad to see this disappear. So, to say something constructive after all: Replace the color spot with something coding related and it would match the site’s subject a lot more, Millenia.

twodayslate
11-23-2008, 03:01 AM
While I think these are nice sketches I also think this is going a little too far into the design(er) direction. After all, this is a coding forum and people here come to get info on coding, not to see a pretty site so there’s just no actual need for a super fancy design.

The main issue is to have it clean and well organized. And if the odd visitor is having a hard time to find a button that’s not good but also not such a big thing that we would have to question the entire site design.

Yes, change is good. But there’s something special to the color scheme of this site already which no other site has and I would be sad to see this disappear. So, to say something constructive after all: Replace the color spot with something coding related and it would match the site’s subject a lot more, Millenia.Added some binary and power button type thing...
Just because this is a coding site does not mean it can't have a stunning design.
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/4915/codecv4.gif

Fou-Lu
11-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Pretty.
I like the new buttons, but the green is kinda dark for my taste - its a little off for the top navigation and table heading backgrounds. Red/Green colour blind here, but I have no problem seeing the text on it. Didn't know there were lines though, lol. Could just be my monitor though, its colour is a little off nowadays. (Actually, I can see the lines, they just don't look red, lol).

Why not create a compitition for people to develop a new theme? There are a lot of talented designers here that I'm sure could spruce up the theme a bit (it is a little dated I'm afraid to say), and would be glad to lend a hand. Just place a maximum image size; you get a lot of traffic through here.

ohgod
11-24-2008, 02:09 PM

let's not be silly, i think we all know the answer here is animated gif's and midi background music.

as for the buttons, you sure can't miss 'em now :eek:

as for the site redesign etc, i actually like the clean cut look of what is set up now. the only thing i would change is that green. that said, it would be up to better men than myself to sort that and pick something better. i'm design challenged and we'd end up with plaid or something if it were left to me. bleh.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum