View Full Version : distributed version control

Fumigator
11-10-2008, 10:57 PM
I suppose this is the best forum for this question...

I'm considering using a Distributed Version Control System such as Bazaar (http://bazaar-vcs.org/) for a project where there will be 2 to 5 developers contributing code to.

If any of you reading this have experience with a DVCS, can you answer me one simple question? Since there is not a central repository, how are conflicts handled when two developers attempt to check in the same file with different modifications in it? I've read a lot about how vital the "merge" process is, but i still don't really understand how this sort of thing is handled.

oracleguy
11-11-2008, 05:18 PM
While I saw your thread yesterday, I've only worked with centralized version control so I don't know.

But I am curious though why you decided to go with a distributed version control system?

Fumigator
11-12-2008, 06:15 PM
I suppose that is a good question. The pros and cons list suggests DVC promotes more collaboration between developers, and touts it as "the next generation". The concept is very abstract though, and if I can't get comfortable with how it merges changes, I'll probably scrap it and go with a centralized VCS.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum