View Full Version : Creating rounded corners with no fill

loamguy1
11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm trying to create an image in Photoshop of a rounded-corner rectangle. This is straight-forward if I want a rectangle filled with color, but what I'm trying to do is create one that has NO fill, that is just a 1 pixel border around white space.

Anyone know how to do this? I've searched the web, but can only find articles on creating filled rounded-rectangles.

harbingerOTV
11-11-2008, 01:57 PM
how about this:

1) make a new file.
2) on a new layer use the rounded rectangle tool to make a rounded rectangle.
3) rasterize the layer.
4) crtl+left click the layer to select the rectangle
5) Select > Modify > Contract > 2px
6) clear selction

should give you something like the attached image

I used a 30px border radius.

loamguy1
11-11-2008, 05:16 PM
how about this:

1) make a new file.
2) on a new layer use the rounded rectangle tool to make a rounded rectangle.
3) rasterize the layer.
4) crtl+left click the layer to select the rectangle
5) Select > Modify > Contract > 2px
6) clear selction

should give you something like the attached image

I used a 30px border radius.

That worked really well!! It seems so simple, yet I would never have been able to figure that out.

Thanks a lot!!

FWDrew
11-11-2008, 11:49 PM
In addition to the nice technique Harbinger sugggested, you could simplify it to this:

-Grab the rounded rectangle tool and select "paths" instead of shapes at the top left.
-Right click on your selection and click stroke path.

However you prefer to do it is the best though :)

Regards,

Drew

jobbers12
07-29-2010, 10:15 AM
This is really helpful but how can I make the line that I get thicker than it already is?

Thanks,
Jake

Candan
07-29-2010, 11:53 AM
1. Make a rounded rectangle
2. Layer > Rasterize > Shape
2. Set fill to 0% (the one above your layer list, and beneath your opacity changer)
3. Right click on ur rounded rectangle layer
4. Blending options
5. Enable stroke
6. Go to the stroke tab.
7. Change the settings
8. Click OK
9. ??????
10. Profit

jobbers12
07-31-2010, 12:32 AM
I Just tried this and it works. Thank-you very much

VIPStephan
08-01-2010, 11:29 PM
There we have one of those things in which Fireworks is just superior to Photoshop. So many steps to create a rounded rectangle with no fill. In Fireworks you just create a new file with transparent canvas color, choose the rectangle tool and draw a rectangle, and then adjust the corner radius in the properties panel. As easy as pie.

cyberdesignz
08-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Yap I have experienced that many times Fireworks give simple solution than photoshop then what is the reason that photoshop is always the 1st choice of most of the people even me to try to do ting with photoshop 1st..

eu4ria
08-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Its not that there are many steps it is that there are many different ways so achieve the results in photoshop and everyone prefers different ways, depending on what you are doing.
Photoshop can do it just as easily as FW; create a path with rounded rectangle tool and then stroke the path.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum