View Full Version : Help with a site name...

BabyJack
11-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi there -I would like some help with coming up with a site name.
On the site, you will be able to play flash games, view videos that we've made and other things along them lines...

I've got a few names, but I'm not sure if they're good enough.

Shuffleworks
Minti

Has anybody here got anything?
It's really depressing spending over 2 weeks on a site name =/

Many Thanks,
BabyJack. :rolleyes:

twodayslate
11-09-2008, 06:04 PM
So what does your site offer that is new?
You can already play flash games and watch videos...

flshvid.com
uflashvideo.com
flshgm.com

I like minti but the domain is taken...

mack77
11-11-2008, 09:52 AM
flashgamefreak
flashfreak
freeflashgames

Millenia
11-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi there -I would like some help with coming up with a site name.
On the site, you will be able to play flash games, view videos that we've made and other things along them lines...

I've got a few names, but I'm not sure if they're good enough.

Shuffleworks
Minti

Has anybody here got anything?
It's really depressing spending over 2 weeks on a site name =/

Many Thanks,
BabyJack. :rolleyes:

I like Shuffleworks. It actually has a unique presence. Try and name a successful website that has a generic name like "flshgams.com" or "watchvideos.net"... It's pretty hard.
Youtube, Twitter, Myspace, Slashdot, all of them are successful, but they have a unique brand. Shuffleworks is my opinion is a good name. Although Minti is quite catchy.

itsallkizza
11-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I like Shuffleworks too ;)

BoldUlysses
11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Shuffleworks reminds me of Shufflepuck Cafe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shufflepuck_Cafe) for the original Mac--which isn't a bad thing at all. :)

Shuffleworks or ShuffleWorks?

itsallkizza
11-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Something attracts me to ShuffleWorks more than Shuffleworks... It's more fresh :)

gnomeontherun
11-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Schuffleupagus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloysius_Snuffleupagus)?

bazz
11-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Shuffleworks or ShuffleWorks?

BOTH!!

You need to make it unique to you don't you? If another company - with megabucks in its bank - will likely cause you leakage. decide on a name and buy all the various domain names which spell similarly and which sound similar. if you can stretch to getting all the tld's for all those then do. Otherwise your brand, won't ever be unique to you, which means a competitor can overtake you and ruin your plans.

bazz

itsallkizza
11-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Ya, but for image branding, logos and such, I like the capital W :)

gnomeontherun
11-12-2008, 12:06 AM
i like all lower caps. its the style these days, especially if we talk about these fancy web 2.0 sites.

anyways a name is only as good as the branding itself. a name like 'flashvideoextravaganza' is not that great, but your two options have potential to be good if you brand it well. just observe other clean sites, like millenia listed, and see how their brand works. a brand gives the name its character, much like you probably know several people named john, but each wears different clothing styles to set themselves apart.

twodayslate
11-12-2008, 04:37 AM
ShuffleWorks > Shuffleworks
ShuffleWorks > shuffleworks

Apostropartheid
11-12-2008, 05:59 PM
So...am I the only one majorly irritated by pointless camel case?

gnomeontherun
11-12-2008, 09:37 PM
So...am I the only one majorly irritated by pointless camel case?

NoMeToo. I prefer if it will be one word, to use lowercase all the way through. Otherwise, no harm in two words now is there?

Rowsdower!
11-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Well when I read it vanilla I was picturing something like this:

SHUFFLEWORKS

Fonts would need to be redone obviously, and the colors are arbitrary at this point but you get the idea...

This way everyone's happy! :thumbsup:

tosbourn
11-14-2008, 05:11 PM
If you don't have lots of money to through into getting your brand out there and marketing the site - picking a name that has no use on search engines may be a bad idea.

SEO at the start of a websites life is hard enough, harder still if the chances of someone googling for your exact domain name are pretty much nill.

(also, I hate web 2.0 names... :-P )

Millenia
11-14-2008, 05:25 PM
SEO at the start of a websites life is hard enough, harder still if the chances of someone googling for your exact domain name are pretty much nill.

Avast! The magic of meta tags!

tosbourn
11-14-2008, 05:29 PM
The meta tag has dropped out of favour from all major search engines. It still bares *some* importance, but not much at all really.

Millenia
11-14-2008, 05:32 PM
The meta tag has dropped out of favour from all major search engines. It still bares *some* importance, but not much at all really.

But still, can help a site get onto search engines, even with the weirdest domains. It still bares great effect.

gnomeontherun
11-14-2008, 05:38 PM
SEO is not completely relevant to the topic, so lets stay on task here.

Good point about the words Shuffle and Works being very common, but it really depends on the context and the usage. You want to target your audience with your branding, and branding isn't just a site name, its the entire site.

A smart site name gives a good overview or meaning to the site. It does NOT have to describe the sites purpose. What the heck is a Google? Its 1 with 100 zeros afterwords. However now we see it as the most successful online company. They have a style to go with the name, so we see them as clever, efficient, and they like to give things for free.

pandare
12-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi,

I Hope I'm not too late helping out with a name for your site. After reading other suggestions and I like mintiflashvid.com I checked and it is available.

Thanks,
Jay

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum