View Full Version : Link to an Instant Messenger...

caliwilli
11-08-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm new at this so please don't make fun of me. I wondered if it is possible to create a link to a phone number that will automatically open a visitor's default Instant Messenger with the phone number entered in the data field the way a mailto: link opens their default email editor with the email addy automatically entered.

Millenia
11-08-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm new at this so please don't make fun of me. I wondered if it is possible to create a link to a phone number that will automatically open a visitor's default Instant Messenger with the phone number entered in the data field the way a mailto: link opens their default email editor with the email addy automatically entered.

No, I don't think that's possible. I don't think there's such thing as a default Instant Messenger. With email programs, they all recognize mailto:.

Instant Messengers use different protocols to each other, so using a link from you're site will not be recognized by all the range of IM's out there.

gnomeontherun
11-08-2008, 10:52 AM
As Millenia said, it is different with each messenger type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Messenger#URI_scheme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_Instant_Messenger#URI_scheme

Can search for more depending on what IM program, some might not support this though.

caliwilli
11-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Thank you both!

So the best method for this might be to set my client up with as many messengers that I can find, with links to them and his handle. Then the site visitor could text his mobile phone or call from their PC. Does that sound like it would work?

Would he have to have all of said messengers downloaded to his mobile phone?

How would this be coded, I would use a separate .gif to represent each messenger? How do other websites make links to message someone?

btw, how do I create a signature, I went to edit profile and I didn't see it anywhere.

Apostropartheid
11-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Surely the standard way is to just list the phone number without anything fancy? Most phone desktop software I've had experience with likes to hijack the browser and add a link in anyway, so that shouldn't really be a concern.
Don't forget the international dial code, e.g. +44(0)20 8958 0123 (which Windows Live wants to dial at the moment)

gnomeontherun
11-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Signatures are not available for new members until you've been a member for a certain time length, its so we can avoid spammers.

There are some programs (like Trillian) which actually are able to handle several different IM platforms. You might want to look into that if you are doing IM messengers.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum