View Full Version : Z-Index Problem in IE7

11-05-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm having problems with the z-index in IE7. I have a position declared on them and not sure what's going on.

here's what it looks like in IE7:

here's what it looks like in IE6, FF, Safari:

here's the CSS:

Also, the buttons don't work in Fire Fox, which is a slight problem. The main issue right now is the z-index not working in IE7.

If anyone can help that would be awesome! I'm trying to get this website up and running this week!

Thanks! :)

11-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Couple of things...

If I'm not mistaken, I've never personally seen the z-index attributed to the body before. I've only ever applied stacking to isolated divs.

I have only ever found z-index to work successfully with position:absolute;, but not with relative positioning, combined with margins.

So, by changing from relative to absolute, I'm guessing it might... just might sort out your stacking problem.

I also think it would be helpful if you could show us the HTML as well as the CSS, in order to get a better idea of where things are supposed to be.

I have just finished a page which uses absolute percentage positioning, negative margins and z-index stacking and it works perfectly in both FF and IE7. I haven't yet tried it with any other browser.

I hope this helps.