View Full Version : [Nov 1st, 08] New usergroups, titles and ranks explained

WA
11-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Hi guys:
This thread lists the current usergroups, titles, and ranks set up on CF:

Usergroups:

1) Just Registered: All new members start with this usergroup. You may not post a signature or polls while in this group.
2) Registered Confirmed: New members who have registered for 1 week or longer, plus have more than 5 posts, graduate to this group. The above two restrictions are removed at this point. You may not use an avatar while in this group.
3) Active Member: Registered members who have registered for 3 months or longer, plus have more than 50 posts, graduate to this group. Avatars are now allowed, and users in this group have access to the "Active Members" lounge, a general chit chat area for more senior members.
4) Mods/ Supermods etc.

User ranks and titles:

User rank and titles are displayed beneath your username whenever you post, and are based strictly on post count. The two are synchronized:

1) 0-10 posts: 0 stars displayed
2) 10-100 posts: 1 stars displayed
3) 100-1000 posts: 2 stars displayed
4) 1000-5000 posts: 3 stars displayed
5) 5000-10,000 posts: 4 stars displayed
6) 10,000+ posts: 5 stars displayed

BabyJack
11-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Good on you, George.
You finally got rid of the speakers :thumbsup:

Apostropartheid
11-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I was quite fond of the speakers, actually. Ah, well, I like the Soviet Russian stars as well, but am quite sad that I lost one :(

BabyJack
11-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Im sad that I've been demoted to a Junior Coder :(
Especially since I'd just reached senior coder status

BabyJack
11-02-2008, 05:01 PM
They look like the wanted level stars on Grand Theft Auto.
Maybe Aerospace is a bad guy.
But that's just my cynical side showing.

hinch
11-02-2008, 05:01 PM
aye its a shame about loosing ranks but who cares just an excuse to post more now :)

BabyJack
11-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Yeah!

BabyJack
11-02-2008, 05:10 PM
See what I did there? lmao

gnomeontherun
11-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Posts in this forum don't actually count, so nice try.

BabyJack
11-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Ooh >.<
No fair.

_Aerospace_Eng_
11-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Green stars might be better or even maybe dark blue ones.
Cool helpful member award images are back. Thanks. Any chance of centering the starts, titles, helpful member images and avatars, rep boxes?

hinch
11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
helpfull member awards would be good if the nominations were still going on the thread has been locked for quite some time believe we've missed at least one month so really :(

oracleguy
11-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Post count padding will also get your in trouble if you make it a habit.

BabyJack
11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Eek. I apologize.

Arty Effem
11-03-2008, 02:51 AM
User rank and titles are displayed beneath your username whenever you post, and are based strictly on post count.Maybe so, but to apply ranks to users with no knowledge of their experience is in many cases going to be libellous and must stop.
I shall be taking advice on the matter.

Philip M
11-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Maybe so, but to apply ranks to users with no knowledge of their experience is in many cases going to be libellous and must stop.
I shall be taking advice on the matter.

You can take my advice - I don't use it anyway. :D:D

The "rankings" which applied from January 2007 were:-

New coder: 0
Regular coder: 50 posts
Senior coder: 500 posts
Elite coder: 5000 posts
Supreme coder: 10,000 posts

So some people (including Arty Effem) will have been demoted from Senior to Junior Coder. :eek:

I have the idea that 10 posts is too few to qualify for even one star.
Suggest:-
1 - 50 No stars
51 - 500 One star
501 - 1000 Two stars

Post by Just registered should moderated before appearing on the board - cut out spammers.

BabyJack
11-03-2008, 09:48 PM
We've had that discussion before.
I think we decided 'no'.

twodayslate
11-04-2008, 01:13 AM
I don't like the all red stars. Do you like these better?
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/456/starna6.png
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8544/starbi9.png
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6672/starrg4.png
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8162/starxc0.png
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6530/starkm8.png

rnd me
11-04-2008, 11:26 AM
can we rename "Junior" to at least "Regular"?

"junior" coders do a lot of heavy lifting on the forums and i think it's a pejorative title.

Even "New" sounds better to me, no credit is better than bad credit.

i can tell you guys that i am finding myself less likely to post.

how can i or anyone expect to be taken seriously posting as a "junior coder" ?

perhaps 500-1000 could be regular.
or maybe 750 senior. i can wait that out... (again)

my reputation has also diminished. i don't understand that one at all, i don't see anything bad in the userCP... grrrr...

personal gripes aside, i still think "Regular Coder" is more apropos than "Junior Coder" for someone with a large time investment on your site.

remember you have a volunteer army.

Brandoe85
11-04-2008, 04:36 PM
I liked the old cf titles best.
CF addict
CF nut

I cant remember them all :(

Arty Effem
11-04-2008, 07:03 PM
So some people (including Arty Effem) will have been demoted from Senior to Junior Coder. :eek:Due in no small part to the fact that some of us never make a "You're welcome" post; now that gives me an idea; "time for some copy and paste" he thought as he clicked to display his post history.

bazz
11-04-2008, 07:48 PM
how can i or anyone expect to be taken seriously posting as a "junior coder" ?

I don't think those indicators are to be taken that seriously mate. And it isn't the rank that makes your post meningful, rather, it is the content within it.

Look at for example, FishMonger or oesxyl in the Perl forum. they have posted excellent info and code from their first post. It is clear that they both knew what they were doing before they found CF. Other examples I know of (and I am sure there are more) would include CyanLight. No idea what her(?) experience is but her posts give good answers from the beginning.

So I wouldn't worry too much arty.

bazz

WA
11-04-2008, 09:53 PM
can we rename "Junior" to at least "Regular"?

Sure, Juniors are now called "regulars". Personally though I think most members don't even really notice the user titles of others except their own, and even if they do, don't put much thought into its implication. :)

rnd me
11-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Sure, Juniors are now called "regulars". Personally though I think most members don't even really notice the user titles of others except their own, and even if they do, don't put much thought into its implication. :)

THANKS!!!

that's much better.

I can see your point, but remember you are looking down the mountain: first time posters only have a limited amount of info, and i think this is more accurate.

Thanks for listening, I really appreciate it!

-dan

oracleguy
11-04-2008, 11:27 PM
you are looking down the mountain: first time posters only have a limited amount of info, and i think this is more accurate.

That isn't exactly true, someone can be a new member here be quite knowledgeable and helpful.

rnd me
11-05-2008, 11:28 PM
That isn't exactly true, someone can be a new member here be quite knowledgeable and helpful.

I meant by which to make evaluations of other posters, not expertise on the subject matter...

i think that given the relatively small amount of "flair" to the left, one's title is fairly important.

people will usually have a better first impression of someone if the stranger is wearing a suit instead of dirty rags.

at any rate, democracy in action, the title was changed, and everyone's happy.

gnomeontherun
11-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I have a question about the Reputation system. Do new members who have no Rep have no power to give Rep either? I have a gray box in my rep list, and the total Reputation number is the same as it was before I received it. I guess I don't see the point, that a Rep was given but it has no affect. Either they shouldn't be able to give Rep for a certain time or they should have at least the minimum power for +/-.

bazz
11-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I am confused about rep too. there is too big a restriction on handing it out. every time I try to give rep to a person, it tells me I have to spread rep around more people first. well that's hard since all the ppl I would give rep to have been given it so I can't spread it about without making it pointless and ruining the rep of the rep system itself. :eek::rolleyes:

I do appreciate that it is probably designed to prevent it being handed out willy nilly but, that is exaclty what I seem to be being forced to do in order to give it to those worthy - very worthy - of it.

So can we be freer to give rep to whomever we deem it appropriate?
bazz

abduraooft
11-07-2008, 05:06 PM
So can we be freer to give rep to whomever we deem it appropriate? Then, I'd make a fake account ;)

twodayslate
11-07-2008, 06:35 PM
People do not give much thanks or rep here. If they do give rep it is usually negative.
:(

bazz
11-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Blimey, I should clarify that I was talking about +ve rep.

That may well amke a difference as you re-read my post. ;)
bazz

oesxyl
11-07-2008, 09:25 PM
I am confused about rep too. there is too big a restriction on handing it out. every time I try to give rep to a person, it tells me I have to spread rep around more people first. well that's hard since all the ppl I would give rep to have been given it so I can't spread it about without making it pointless and ruining the rep of the rep system itself. :eek::rolleyes:
is a little work reading the posts and evaluate them but you can spread reputation to the poster you consider that make a good post and/or to the users that recive negative reputation without a real reason. Last is a little harder but some cases are so obvious that you can fail, :)

best regards

feram71
12-30-2008, 03:29 PM
THANKS!!!

that's much better.

I can see your point, but remember you are looking down the mountain: first time posters only have a limited amount of info, and i think this is more accurate.

Thanks for listening, I really appreciate it!

-dan

While it certainly applies to myself, I am sure that there are enough first time posters who actually do have a lot of knowledge.

freedom_razor
02-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I have a question about the Reputation system. Do new members who have no Rep have no power to give Rep either? I have a gray box in my rep list, and the total Reputation number is the same as it was before I received it. I guess I don't see the point, that a Rep was given but it has no affect. Either they shouldn't be able to give Rep for a certain time or they should have at least the minimum power for +/-.

Same happend to me, what does the grey box mean? A neutral rep? Or it is just because certain members can't really give positive/negative rep?

oracleguy
02-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Same happend to me, what does the grey box mean? A neutral rep? Or it is just because certain members can't really give positive/negative rep?

It means the person had a neutral reputation. I believe the amount of reputation you can give (positive or negative) is based on your own reputation, the number of posts you have and how long you've been a member.

jerry62704
02-02-2009, 08:27 PM

I just added to your rep. See if it looks any different.

Not that I know if I can add of course.

freedom_razor
02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, thanks. Looks like you can, and with a boost. Your 1 point [green] seems to count as 4 [I've 2 green dots, 1 grey, and it says 5 points total]. I guess the internal mechanics of rep system are beyond us mere mortals :)

akosiana
01-08-2011, 07:30 AM
ugh, I'm just new here and I got one warning and one infraction already, I already posted 9, so waiting for 7 I guess due to signature thingy

FeN$x
03-24-2011, 04:41 AM
While it certainly applies to myself, I am sure that there are enough first time posters who actually do have a lot of knowledge.

Agreed... Post count doesnt mean you actually anymore smarter than a guy with 1 post. It means you are more active with the community.

So under my point of view the ranking system cant be elaborated by knowledge per post count, thats unlogic. Ranking should have alias that are referenced to the activity on community, not the skills as a coder.

Well in anyway whoever is a real good coder, he wont matter much for a alias for credit his knowledge. :D

Fumigator
03-24-2011, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't look at your title here in this forum as a serious attempt at evaluating your coding skillz.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum