View Full Version : Very bad practice, but should I really care?

Millenia
10-30-2008, 08:46 PM
I am making a search engine for Linux software. So I presume all my visitors are on Linux, providing they want to be there. Would it be bad if I only had the service available to people on Linux? Surely visiting the site on Windows would be a mistake? What do you think.

gnomeontherun
10-30-2008, 10:16 PM
What about people who might be interested in the move to Linux?

Exactly why would it matter if other platforms could view the site?

Apostropartheid
10-31-2008, 12:54 AM
This would probably be a bad mistake. There are lots of reasons why one will use another platform to download Linux packages. What if I have it in a virtual machine which isn't networked? What if (typically) my wifi card isn't working and I have to keep it local? What if I'm just downloading packages for later? And what if I fake my user agent?

Fou-Lu
10-31-2008, 02:19 AM
Bad mistake.
Thats like Mozilla forbidding IE users from downloading their product. Since the majority of computer / internet users can't figure out how to do it any other way than graphically, they'd be pretty limited on how they could download it if they can't navigate through the site.

owt200x
11-04-2008, 08:18 PM
not that i do this, but a site like that is inviting hackers and DOS attacks because someone might get a little POd.

like when i try to go to Maxis website, i go straight to a screen saying "Im sorry you need IE or NN to browse our site. I use Opera

I hate sites like that, it boils my blood...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum