View Full Version : A website I made from php..

Androgen
10-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi guys.

I recently finished a project of mine.. which is a Image/File Hosting website, coded entirely in php and HTML, but mostly php.

Link: http://seeuploader.com

I want to know any errors I have and stuff. I custom made the script, custom made the design, and custom made all website tools, etc..

Let me know please. :P

Millenia
10-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Umm, it would be much easier to navigate if there was a link to your homepage. Currently I have to use the back button or type in the URL again. That's not good.

That's the only problem I can find so far.

gnomeontherun
10-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Some basic usability issues I found right off the bat.

You have some links above the main box. I was not sure at first and almost mistook them as ads. Do you know of ways to make them less cryptic?

Your browseUp and uploadTIME images mostly look like buttons, but I wasn't sure when I rolled over and the cursor did not change.

Upon first glance, I was not aware what I was looking at (even though I read your first post). There was a box, another box with text saying something about Browsing (which I tried to click thinking it was the traditional Browse box, until I found the real Browse box), and there are two buttons which don't behave enough like buttons for me to be sure they are without thinking. I was distracted by the "Welcome Guest. Today is Tuesday! The Date Is: 10-28-2008", and wondered if I knew what was going on in life because I could have sworn today was Wednesday... Then I thought, maybe I have to sign up to make this thing work, but there was no registration or sign up feature. Then I wasn't really able to read the pink/white slogan box very easily because of the colors, and once I read it didn't know what that statement had to do with anything on the site. Here I tried to give an honest and simple explanation of my thoughts as I scanned the page. I will let you digest that information as you wish, but the question is what do you think about the ease of use? I know its only 2 buttons to upload, but do you think you can identify some things to make it painfully obvious (but keep it as pretty looking) for people to know what to do?

I like the look, it doesn't validate though, so I would look at that.

Overall it seems to function like it should, I just wanted to show you as clearly as possible that the less savvy user might not understand everything about the functionality since it breaks some conventions I think. Also there is only the name seeUPLOADER (in which the 'see' is a bit hard to read due to the weathering effect) to give direction to the sites purpose. I think I should know immediately what the site offers, what I can do here, how I can do it, but avoid putting long text blobs to explain it. Really just a few changes would make a world of difference.

Apostropartheid
10-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Your browseUp and uploadTIME images mostly look like buttons, but I wasn't sure when I rolled over and the cursor did not change.

Agreed. I was trying to figure out what they do. To be honest, it would make more sense if they were just Browse and Upload: the UP & TIME confused me. In fact, the whole site confuses me. A bit of copy wouldn't really go amiss. Tell me who you are, what you're doing and why I'm presented with two buttons. I can see the pained looks on my comrades' faces, but don't make me think!

@jeremy: double-post galore!

jamesicus
10-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Accessibility advisory:

I had to increase the text size by four increments (ctrl + via Windows/ Firefox keyboard) to be able to read the top links and footer text comfortably.

Ref: Web Content Accessibility (http://jp29.org/wpowca.htm)

James

gnomeontherun
10-29-2008, 12:57 AM
but don't make me think!

Bravo, a great resource on usability is that book by Steve Krug

And the dagon Internet decided to hiccup and say 'timeout' so I hit refresh and its there twice (after a 10 minute downtime) bah.

BabyJack
11-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanLight
but don't make me think!

Bravo, a great resource on usability is that book by Steve Krug

And the dagon Internet decided to hiccup and say 'timeout' so I hit refresh and its there twice (after a 10 minute downtime) bah.

Offtopic: I thought you guys were at war :D

stanfordrep
11-04-2008, 10:47 AM
The red text on blue is a bit harsh. Not too crazy about the time it takes the page to load feature at the bottom...Your links are also pale grey on a pale blue background...ouch.

stanfordrep
11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
And start the how many people are online feature later on. It's embarrassing because you don't have the traffic yet.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum