View Full Version : Can't give negative reputation to Newbies

BabyJack
10-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Hey, just realized that I can't give reputation to new members.
Why is this?

_Aerospace_Eng_
10-28-2008, 09:15 PM
This would be the case if the user was already banned. It would say banned under their username.

FWDrew
10-29-2008, 02:36 AM
And why would you want to give negative rep to someone who is new at coding? I was new at this once and sure you were too. :)

Fou-Lu
10-29-2008, 06:01 AM
I give negative rep to the random spam / ad members.
I like seeing it drop to 'so and so can only hope to improve' :)
Next time I'll wait for Aerospace to hit them first. I wish they showed the reputation power here.

Aradon
10-29-2008, 11:39 AM
There is the top 7 people with high reputation at the bottom left of the main page.

Fumigator
10-29-2008, 05:24 PM
That only lists how much rep someone has received, not the weight of someone's rep "hammer", so to speak. It's a combination of post count, seniority (age of account), and I think something else I don't remember.

gnomeontherun
10-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Negative rep to new members (who aren't spam or ads) is probably likely to cause them great distress. I bet its really hard to come back when someone with a hefty Rep comes along and says 'Dumb question, ask Google first' and knocks them down a ways to a point they can't expect to come back from.

So I wouldn't give rep to a newbie unless they really earn it (positive or negative) and resort to thanks more at first (they seem to understand that system faster anyways).

oracleguy
10-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Negative rep to new members (who aren't spam or ads) is probably likely to cause them great distress. I bet its really hard to come back when someone with a hefty Rep comes along and says 'Dumb question, ask Google first' and knocks them down a ways to a point they can't expect to come back from.

So I wouldn't give rep to a newbie unless they really earn it (positive or negative) and resort to thanks more at first (they seem to understand that system faster anyways).

Agreed. Just because someone should have maybe done a little research first is no reason to give them negative reputation if they are new or inexperienced. They just might not know what they really need to search for.

BabyJack
10-30-2008, 12:43 PM
In my <insert months I've been here> I've never said for someone to google it. Nor will I. Instead, I google it and earn me thanks :) lol.

gnomeontherun
10-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Sometimes I do find it necessary to say, Google It, especially when they are very unclear about what they are looking for or if there are just too many options.

bazz
10-31-2008, 01:35 AM
Agreed. Just because someone should have maybe done a little research first is no reason to give them negative reputation if they are new or inexperienced. They just might not know what they really need to search for.

And we mustn't forget that having googled, they might just have found themselves here. I would think that the natural thing to do, then, is to post a question.

bazz

4B/75/73/41/
11-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I would have to agree with aerospace, and spammers should just get deleted, for users this just is,int the site for negative rep.:rolleyes:

Millenia
11-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I've never said for someone to google itIt says it in your signature here:

Google is your friend for PC Problems (http://google.com/)

:p

twodayslate
11-09-2008, 12:32 AM
It says it in your signature here:

:p

lol

Sometimes google is the best answer.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum