View Full Version : New to Javascript; Problem with document.write coding

fjardis86
10-20-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm taking a beginning class at my school for Javascript. My teacher refuses to answer e-mails so I cannot get in touch with him to fix my problem. My assignment was to prompt a user to enter 5 integers, and then have a browser display the largest of the 5 integers. I was then asked to prompt the user to enter 1 more integer and if it was equal to one of the 5 other integers, display a statement respectively.

What happens with my script is once the user puts in the integers, the browser displays every integer, and also both statements (this integer is NOT equal/equal to the other integers.) I'm sure its a very simple problem, but I am a complete noob with coding, so I don't know what to do to just have the browser display the LARGEST integer, not every integer, as well as display ONE statement, not both.

Here is the code:
</html>
</body>

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">

var firstnumber = Number(prompt("Enter the first number"));
var secondnumber = Number(prompt("Enter the second number"));
var thirdnumber = Number(prompt("Enter the third number"));
var fourthnumber = Number(prompt("Enter the fourth number"));
var fifthnumber = Number(prompt("Enter the fifth number"));

if ( (firstnumber > secondnumber) && (firstnumber > thirdnumber) && (firstnumber > fourthnumber) && (firstnumber > fifthnumber) );
{
document.write(firstnumber);
}

if ( (secondnumber > firstnumber) && (secondnumber > thirdnumber) && (secondnumber > fourthnumber) && (secondnumber > fifthnumber) );
{
document.write(secondnumber);
}

if ( (thirdnumber > firstnumber) && (thirdnumber > secondnumber) && (thirdnumber > fourthnumber) && (thirdnumber > fifthnumber) );
{
document.write(thirdnumber);
}

if ( (fourthnumber > firstnumber) && (fourthnumber > secondnumber) && (fourthnumber > thirdnumber) && (fourthnumber > fifthnumber) );
{
document.write(fourthnumber);
}

if ( (fifthnumber > firstnumber) && (fifthnumber > secondnumber) && (fifthnumber > thirdnumber) && (fifthnumber > fourthnumber) );
{
document.write(fifthnumber);
}

var lastnumber = Number(prompt("Enter one last number"));
if ( (lastnumber == firstnumber) || (lastnumber == secondnumber) || (lastnumber == thirdnumber) || (lastnumber == fourthnumber) || (lastnumber == fifthnumber) );
{
document.write("The last number is equal to one of the other integers.");
}

if ( !(lastnumber == firstnumber) || (lastnumber == secondnumber) || (lastnumber == thirdnumber) || (lastnumber == fourthnumber) || (lastnumber == fifthnumber) );
{
document.write("The last number is NOT equal to one of the other integers.");
}

</script>

</body>
</html>

Here is a link to the site:
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Fred/Desktop/JS_HW2.htm

I apologize if I'm breaking any rules on the board. The class is in about 2 hours, so I'm just hoping I can get a quick answer from anyway that can even read my code.

Philip M
10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Presumably you have solved your problem now.

if ((lastnumber != firstnumber) && (lastnumber != secondnumber) &&(lastnumber != thirdnumber) && (lastnumber != fourthnumber) && (lastnumber!= fifthnumber) );
{
document.write("The last number is NOT equal to one of the other integers.");
}

I expect you realise that this is a terribly cumbersome way of comparing numbers.

Sign on a New York convalescent home: For the sick and tired of the Episcopal Church.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum