View Full Version : max length

02-21-2003, 05:52 AM
i have a textarea...and i want to let the uesr to enter only 10 characters....how i can do it? I know how to do this in a input text but i dont know in a textarea

02-21-2003, 06:06 AM
/me has this just a copied/pasted/credited® n' saved from the ol' wa forum...:O)))

just a goodluck® n' hoping it helps...:O)))

Description: A script that checks the number of characters in a form box, and if it exceeds the predetermined number,
cancels the form submission, and asks the surfer to reenter data.

In 50 chars or less, please type a short description of yourself:

Directions: Simply cut and paste the below code into the <body> section of your page. It contains a form with one textarea
box that is checked for max # of characters. You can change this # from the default 50 to another by changing "var maxlength"
below. You can add in more form elements into the form, as you would with any other form.

/*Form Characters check script credit-Website Abstraction (www.wsabstract.com) 200+ free JavaScripts here!

function checkchars(cur){
//change max length to determine below
var maxlength=50
if (cur.chars.value.length>maxlength){
alert("Please restrain your input to 50 or less characters!")
return false

<form onsubmit="return checkchars(this)">
<strong>In 50 chars or less, please type a short description of yourself:</strong><br><textarea rows="5" cols="38" name="chars"></textarea>
<br><input type="submit" value="Submit!">

<p align="center"><font face="arial" size="-2">This free script provided by</font><br>
<font face="arial, helvetica" size="-2"><a href="http://wsabstract.com">Website

02-22-2003, 02:22 PM
I wrote a more cross-browser script here:

<script type="text/javascript">
Maxtext v1.2
Copyright 2002 Robert K. Davis
function getlength(x,y){
return x < y;
function textlen(x,y){
var thelength = x.value.length;
window.status = thelength + " of " + y + " maximum characters.";

function maxtext(x,y){
var tempstr = x.value;
if(tempstr.length > y){
x.value = tempstr.substring(0,y);
alert("Please limit your entry to " + y + " characters or less.");
// -->

This uses a number of different techniques and it has been tested in Opera, Mozilla, Netscape 4.x, Netscape 6+, and IE.