View Full Version : loading text documents

kwhubby
02-21-2003, 02:40 AM
hi, how would i load a text document to a variable?

joeframbach
02-21-2003, 03:23 AM
im afraid javascript cant do that with *.txt files, but a good alternative would be *.js files.

example:

variables.js:
--------------------------
var name="Joe Frambach"
var favSite="http://www.codingforums.com"
var lang="Javascript"

the head of your html page:
<script language='javascript' src='variables.js'></script>
<script...>
alert(name + "\'s favorite site is " + favSite + ", and his favorite language is " + lang + ".")
</script>

*.js files can also incluse functions etc.

kwhubby
02-21-2003, 04:24 AM
shoulnd you be able to get a text document into an iframe, and load the iframe outertext into a variable :)

TheMenace
02-21-2003, 09:52 AM
The easiest way to do it would be use Server Side Includes. Have a look at Big Nose Bird (http://www.bignosebird.com) the articles there have lots of SSI info.

kwhubby
02-22-2003, 02:21 AM
I was able to get it to work
with a hidden div tag, with an iframe to the source of a text document, than difine a variable to getElementsByTagName('HTML')[0].innerText
of the iframe name, and wa la, I get the text of a text document into a variable using html/javascript

:D :D
:cool: :cool:

brothercake
02-22-2003, 05:22 AM
I wouldn't rely on that personally - afaik only ie5.5, ie6 and mozilla will let you do that; moz also splits the text into nodes every x bytes (can't remember what x is), whereas in IE it's all in childNodes[1]

But really... you shouldn't rely on a text document having a DOM at all. The best way to import client-side data into javascript is to keep the data in XML.

kwhubby
02-22-2003, 06:55 AM
I don;t really care at all about netscape or opera or anything else besides ie 5-6

does ie split the data up too???...

jkd
02-22-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by kwhubby
I don;t really care at all about netscape or opera or anything else besides ie 5-6

That's a shame.

And no, IE does not split the data up. It keeps it all in one TextNode.

kwhubby
02-22-2003, 07:07 AM
this is for main use on my computer, not really for wide sharing with the few netscape users out there (greatly increasing because of aol swapping to moz)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum