View Full Version : Good Web Host?

Shirk Deio
10-16-2008, 09:20 PM
I've been using Yahoo web hosting for awhile now, and it was fine when all I needed was HTML pages and simple PHP. But now I want .htaccess support, which Yahoo doesn't allow. I also want access to files above the 'www' folder so I can hide files, and it doesn't allow me to do that either.

So, I thought this would be a good place to ask. What hosts do you recommend? In a quick search, I found a decent-looking one--http://www.bluehost.com/. Is that hosting any good? Or do you recommend something else?

I'm just feeling restricted with Yahoo, and want something better. What do you suggest?

AlexV
10-16-2008, 09:26 PM
If I were to get a new web host (I'm stuck with mine until next summer) I'll go with HostGator (www.hostgator.com).

After some hours of research this is the best one I've found. All I can say is avoid the company iPowerWeb / StartLogic at all cost.

Here are some of their "child" company (also to avoid):
AccountSupport
BizLand
BlueDomino
DomainHost
eHost
EntryHost
FatCow
FreeYellow
HostCentric
HostYourSite
HyperMart
ImOutDoors
iPowerWeb (iPower)
NetWorksHosting
PowWeb
PureHost
ReadyHosting
StartLogic
USAnetHosting
VirtualAve
Xeran

I'm stuck with one of these child company and since iPowerWeb bought them a few years back all is worse... Uptime, response time, server speeds...

themarker0
10-16-2008, 10:59 PM
another good one is bryansoft.com its a free host so you can a sub-domain but its still is good. i used to use it with a dot.tk or a .co.cc free domain

twodayslate
10-16-2008, 11:06 PM
DreamHost (http://twodayslate.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/dreamhost-now-with-unlimted-space/) is the best. Once you use DreamHost, you will always hate cPanel.
They have a great community and the company actually listens to its users.

Shirk Deio
10-17-2008, 04:44 PM
DreamHost looks good, but so does HostGator. HostGator is less expensive, but DreamHost says it allows .htaccess files and full Unix shell, and HostGator doesn't mention the shell.

Any thoughts?

Also, does DreamHost either allow php.ini editing? I couldn't find that on there...

AlexV
10-17-2008, 06:30 PM
HostGator allows .htaccess and php.ini edition. Haven't asked for Unix shell in the past...

Just contact them via live chat or phone as I did in the past.

Shirk Deio
10-20-2008, 06:21 PM
So hostgator is the way to go, you think?

BoldUlysses
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I've had good experience with ICDSoft (http://icdsoft.com/index.php). I haven't really shopped around, but then again I haven't felt the need to. Sites have never been down or hacked and tech support has been immediate.

twodayslate
10-20-2008, 08:33 PM
So hostgator is the way to go, you think?Test out the panels. DreamHost has the best panel.
And they have a lot of features too.

_Aerospace_Eng_
10-20-2008, 09:38 PM
I currently use http://siteflip.com

It is fine for my needs and it only costs 12 US dollars a year. It doesn't include a domain. I recommend that you don't get your hosting and domain at the same place.

twodayslate
10-20-2008, 09:42 PM
I recommend that you don't get your hosting and domain at the same place.
explain that...
This would only lead to problems. You might miss reregistration and you will have to remember another important password.

As long as you buy hosting/domain from a respected vendor I don't see a problem (ie dreamhost, godaddy sucks).

_Aerospace_Eng_
10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
It leads to problems if you do as that company will have both your domain and hosting. If you decide to switch hosts they may make you pay extra fees for a transfer or keep your domain locked for however long they want. In the end you are left with a headache and a lighter pocket.

twodayslate
10-20-2008, 10:14 PM
It leads to problems if you do as that company will have both your domain and hosting. If you decide to switch hosts they may make you pay extra fees for a transfer or keep your domain locked for however long they want. In the end you are left with a headache and a lighter pocket.It is normal to have to pay to transfer your domain.

edit:// I assume you gave me the negative rep?

oracleguy
10-20-2008, 10:36 PM
It leads to problems if you do as that company will have both your domain and hosting. If you decide to switch hosts they may make you pay extra fees for a transfer or keep your domain locked for however long they want. In the end you are left with a headache and a lighter pocket.

Agreed, it is better to keep the hosting separated from the domain registration. If your host owns the registration they could screw you over and not let you transfer it.

twodayslate
10-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Agreed, it is better to keep the hosting separated from the domain registration. If your host owns the registration they could screw you over and not let you transfer it.Has never happened to me. Again, just make sure you deal with a respected vendor.

I am pretty sure GoDaddy does the hostage thing.

owt200x
11-01-2008, 03:55 AM
http://www.freehostia.com

ccheney
11-01-2008, 04:35 AM
enterprise class hosting: concentric.com

All of my sites are hosted here :)

not cheap, but you do get what you pay for :D

millsi80
11-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Bluehost is probably one of the best. The tech support is really knowledgeable and usually responds in less than 24 hours. Its also cheap and I have had full up time and great speeds. Highly recommended

BabyJack
11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
HostGator. It's possibly the best host ever.

Shirk Deio
11-11-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm leaning toward DreamHost right now--does anyone have any reason to choose or not to choose that over HostGator (my second choice)?

AlexV
11-11-2008, 06:58 PM
http://hostjury.com/reviews/DreamHost
vs
http://hostjury.com/reviews/hostgator

Never used DreamHost but they seem to have some speed/uptime problems... Can't really say since I've never used DreamHost.

Also look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamHost
"Billing issue" :S

Shirk Deio
11-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the links. I read them both. I guess HostGator > Dreamhost?

I have a promo code for Dreamhost that makes a year of hosting cost only $20 ($10/mo after the first year), while using the promo code for HostGator that I have it costs $20 for the first month and $10 per month after that. With that in mind, should I try out DreamHost for a year? Or just start with HostGator, which, by reviews, is faster and more reliable?

AlexV
11-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I think you can find promo codes for Hostgator on the web... Usually they have something like 20% discount ofter...

" HostGator > Dreamhost " : I don't know since I've never used Dreamhost. Dreamhost seems to be a good/honest/transparent host but some reviews speaking of slow SQL and PHP would make me get another opinion before using their services (or maybe just sign-in for a month to check it out).

I think you can get a month of service at Hostgator for 0.01 $. Why don't you try it for yourself first?

Anyway for a non-commercial site, downtime isn't much an issue (it's more an annoyance) since no $ is involved.

My 2 cents :)

meddle58
06-10-2010, 04:18 PM
I've been using Yahoo web hosting for awhile now, and it was fine when all I needed was HTML pages and simple PHP. But now I want .htaccess support, which Yahoo doesn't allow. I also want access to files above the 'www' folder so I can hide files, and it doesn't allow me to do that either.

So, I thought this would be a good place to ask. What hosts do you recommend? In a quick search, I found a decent-looking one--http://www.bluehost.com/. Is that hosting any good? Or do you recommend something else?

I'm just feeling restricted with Yahoo, and want something better. What do you suggest?

There are lots of good hosting companies. I have worked mostly on godaddy.com and its really good. I never got any complain as far as the interface they have provided is really good. They have both Windows/Linux.

jfreak53
06-21-2010, 02:35 PM
I love it when people ask this question, everyone is just going to tell you what they use. Of course their going to tell you it's good, or they wouldn't be there ha ha. Which maybe that's the point, find as many hosters as you can and compare yourself.

But it seems kind of biased since a good 60% use hostgator. I used lunarpages for years and would swear by them. Only thing is they are snooty, they refuse to price match ha ha, their too good for my money ha ha. So I left. Besides I can't comment, I have my own host, so I'm kind of biased as it is ha ha ha.

designing2010
06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
hostgator, ixwebhosting, justhost, singlehop all r top company go with anyone.

chazkitten
06-25-2010, 02:03 AM
I'm currently with JustHost and I have found them reliable. They soon sorted my domain out when I found that I couldn't use .co.uk.

The two negatives to JustHost are that the included templates are ugly and that I'm too much of a beginner to know where to install a premade layout in order to remove said templates.

I'm currently checking out DreamHost as my hosting ends in September.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum