View Full Version : Request

abumslife
02-19-2003, 09:26 PM
i'll try to explain this the best i can...

first of all here is the link to my board i want tweeked www.abumslife.com/board

currently i have a shout box in the top right hand corner that i installed yesturday... the purpose is so that whoever enters the room can let everyone else know they are in there no matter what forum they are in they can see it... it's close to what i'm looking for but not quit...

what i would like there is an option window that anyone can change... one saying "Occupied" and the other saying "Empty"

i'm not sure if this would be javascript or not... guidance in the right direction would also be appreciated

here are some images i think would look good... the "Chat Room" would be the link to the room... the symbols to the right would open up to choose occupied or empty

THANKS

abumslife
02-19-2003, 09:26 PM
here is the empty image

abumslife
02-20-2003, 04:17 AM
bueller.... bueller... anyone... bueller? :D

abumslife
02-20-2003, 05:16 PM
is this a help forum? :confused:

abumslife
02-21-2003, 09:07 AM
is this common... making it to the middle of the second page with no replies?

arnyinc
02-21-2003, 04:27 PM
I don't understand what you're trying to do. Is there just one chat room and you want people to be able to change the gif based on whether or not they are in the chatroom?

This is a PHP question. You basically want a single entry in your database (or even in a flat text file for something this simple) that can be set to "empty" or "occupied". Then make a form that can update this value. Use this value to decide which gif to display.

abumslife
02-21-2003, 05:03 PM
yes, i would like anyone to be able to change it... when someone firsts enters the room i would like them to set it to "Occupied" and last person out can set it to "Empty" it doesn't have to be in a gif.... i would like it to be some kind of drop down menu and when chosen it would be seen by everyone

i hope that's a better explanation

Roy Sinclair
02-21-2003, 08:40 PM
To be honest, I took a look and saw you were trying to create another board that competes with this one and decided you had a lot of chutzpah to come here to ask a question.

Edit:

Of course your total failure to do things like follow the "POSTING GUIDELINES: READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST" at the top of the page, your posting into an inappropriate forum for your question and similar things also probably factor into the huge lack of response you received.

abumslife
02-22-2003, 02:36 AM
6 out of 38 forums on my board are about coding... to help people with web design...(by the way in the past 4 days i've been thinking about putting all those 6 in ONE forum to make more room) that's hardly competing with this board... the reason for my board is to have something for everyone... so that's hardly the reason...

perhaps the lack of maturity is why this thread lacks replies... over 6 THOUSAND members i don't think i was asking for much

i did read the posting guidelines first... how do you expect a person who is new to all this to know what kind of coding this is... pretty hard to determine where this thread belongs when i have no clue myself... i even did searches and read threads before i posted... maybe there should be a forum just for BEGINNERS

i wasn't asking for much in my question... i even said i would appreciate guidence in the right direction... i don't even know what it's called i'm looking for... i even took the time in photoshop to draw out the idea to help you members better understand my question

the very first line under JavaScript programming is "Click here for live help-"

i guess assuming help was actually here was my first mistake

Skyzyx
02-22-2003, 02:44 AM
Let's settle down here... there's no need to bicker back and forth, insult each other, or anything else. Yes this is the JavaScript help forum, and yes, this is a server-side question. Now that this has all been established, we all know where to go and what to do.

BTW, abumslife, there are times I ask questions that don't get responses for 2-3 days, so if you don't get a response, just be patient. It'll get handled at some point.

:)

whammy
02-22-2003, 03:55 AM
P.S. If you're not sure which forum to post in and you don't know what language to use, usually "General Web Building" is the best place to put your question. You will surely get pointed to the correct forum by someone. :)

abumslife
02-24-2003, 06:19 AM
thanks whammy... now i know... hopefully this thread will get moved there and someone will politely respond to my request

thanks skyxyz for letting me know about time frame... that's always good to know... i'll try and be patient

:)

abumslife
02-25-2003, 08:49 PM
ok i changed the shout box and put in a pop up window... but how do i get it so when someone changes it everyone sees it?

WA
02-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Hi abumslife:
Not every thread is going to get help instantly (some not at all)- that's the nature of a forum. Please do not come in with a sense of "entitlement"- even if you were paying to post in this forum (last time I checked, it's $0), that sort of altitude is not appreciated.

I think a few things turned off your post to other members, from failure to use a descriptive subject, posting in the wrong category, to bumping your own threads. That's why we created the posting guidelines: http://www.codingforums.com/postguide.htm

Any further responses to this thread, please keep it to the original question, and as someone mentioned earlier, leave the bickering behind.

whammy
02-26-2003, 12:48 AM
You can't really change it whenever someone makes a post; that's the nature of client-side scripts, since they can't tell what has changed on the server.

What you need to do is refresh the window at a certain interval, like...

<body onload="setTimeout('self.location.reload()',10000)">

.... in the popup window; this would reload the window every ten seconds, for example.

Hope this helps! :)

abumslife
02-26-2003, 03:46 AM
You can't really change it whenever someone makes a post; that's the nature of client-side scripts, since they can't tell what has changed on the server.

not everytime someone posts... i just want everyone to see the change when the page reloads... for example... like the "shout box" i had... i couldn't see someones new shout until i wen't into a different forum and the page refreshed... that's kind of what i want this to do

What you need to do is refresh the window at a certain interval, like...

<body onload="setTimeout('self.location.reload()',10000)">

.... in the popup window; this would reload the window every ten seconds, for example.

Hope this helps! :)

when it refreshes now it just goes back to the blank one... how do i get the options so set... so it stays on "occupied" or "empty"

thanks

ronaldb66
02-26-2003, 11:31 AM
Access to this website is currently not possible as your hostname/IP appears suspicous.
Yeah, that will get you a lot of help! I'm on a corporate network, you ...

abumslife
02-26-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by ronaldb66
Yeah, that will get you a lot of help! I'm on a corporate network, you ...

i'd have no idea why it would say that to be honest... i'm not even blocking bots off my board... there is no ip address that is banned... try again... maybe i was just uploading something the time you were checking

thanks for bringing this to my attention though

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum