View Full Version : Ubuntu Portrait Mode

Trinithis
10-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm running Ubuntu, and I have edited the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to allow my screen to rotate by 90 degrees by adding

Option "RandRRotate" "On"
to the file. This works just dandy in the console by doing "xrandr -o left" and such.

What I want is for my computer to start in portrait mode (ie rotated left) to begin with. When I add

Option "Rotate" "Left" # or Option "Rotate" "CCW"

to the file, Ubuntu (along with the login screen) starts in portrait mode, which is good. However, I can no longer "xrandr -o normal" to go back to landscape mode.

Is there a way to have both enabled at the same time?

oracleguy
10-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Just put
xrandr -o left in your ~/.xinitrc and it will be ran when you start X.

Trinithis
10-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Do I need some extra syntax? It's not doing the job. If it makes a difference, I had to create the file, and I'm using Hardy.

EDIT: Also adding it to ~/.xsession wouldn't let me log in because it errors out.

oracleguy
10-05-2008, 08:11 PM
The xinitrc might not be getting called if X starts because of XDM which I assume you are running. (It automatically starts X on boot and presents you with a GUI login screen)

Try googling to see if there is a similar init script that gets called when it starts X. I don't know if there is one off hand.

Trinithis
10-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Ah, thanks.

oesxyl
10-07-2008, 12:45 AM
The xinitrc might not be getting called if X starts because of XDM which I assume you are running. (It automatically starts X on boot and presents you with a GUI login screen)

Try googling to see if there is a similar init script that gets called when it starts X. I don't know if there is one off hand.

Ah, thanks.
you can avoid to use (xgk)dm and use startx instead to start x manualy. This is good when you use the system a long time without shutdown, have problem with some x application or you want to run something what need a lot of memory and you don't need x.

best regards

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum