View Full Version : Richard Stallman on 'cloud computing'

tagnu
10-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi all,

Stallman's view on the 'cloud computing' hype.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman

Millenia
10-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi all,

Stallman's view on the 'cloud computing' hype.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman

I saw it on Slashdot, and I still don't get what's so bad about cloud computing.

ess
10-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Good article.

Definitely agree with his views.

In particular, the impact on user's privacy and how organisations handle such information without user's knowledge.

oesxyl
10-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I saw it on Slashdot, and I still don't get what's so bad about cloud computing.

"One reason you should not use web applications to do your computing is that you lose control," he said. "It's just as bad as using a proprietary program. Do your own computing on your own computer with your copy of a freedom-respecting program. If you use a proprietary program or somebody else's web server, you're defenceless. You're putty in the hands of whoever developed that software."
I agree with RMS but this is like democracy, old and not upgraded, :)

Good article.

Definitely agree with his views.

In particular, the impact on user's privacy and how organisations handle such information without user's knowledge.
this is a problem of law and attitude no matter if software is free, open source or proprietary.

best regards

borntoslow
10-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Well IBM have just opened another 3 cloud centers or whatever you want to call them. bad idea if you ask me and i dont think it will catch on in the way Google, Amazon, IBM etc etc want it too.

i think it will evolve itso something usefull but currently its to new to fully understand its capeabilities (for me anyway)

tagnu
10-07-2008, 09:52 AM
I believe, no matter what people say, major players will push this technology forward.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum