View Full Version : Blank date export to excel fills cell with # symbols

dulatoag
09-30-2008, 02:25 AM
Hello:

I'm running an xslt page that exports filemaker data to excel. I have setup a column as a datetype datatype. When I export the data, some rows have blank datetime values. The result is that excel fills the cell with "#" symbols rather than leaving it blank. Is there a workaround for this?

Elsewise, I can use a datatype of string for the dates, which works fine with the empty values, but when I attempt to reformat the dates, it does not affect the cells until you click in and out of them.

Any ideas??

Thanks

oesxyl
09-30-2008, 03:31 AM
Hello:

I'm running an xslt page that exports filemaker data to excel. I have setup a column as a datetype datatype. When I export the data, some rows have blank datetime values. The result is that excel fills the cell with "#" symbols rather than leaving it blank. Is there a workaround for this?

Elsewise, I can use a datatype of string for the dates, which works fine with the empty values, but when I attempt to reformat the dates, it does not affect the cells until you click in and out of them.

Any ideas??

Thanks
xml or xslt could be invalid if that is happend. If xml is the problem the best thing is to validate before use it. In case the xslt is the problem solution is simple you just need to fix it.

best regards

dulatoag
09-30-2008, 04:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. I can test in the xslt whether the value of the data field is blank, but it seems that since the datatype is set to datetime, excel converts a null value to something not null. That make sense? I'm a total novice at xslt btw ... this is just something I have to get done in order to proceed in the project. I just want to pass along an empty value, but it seems excel does not support an empty datetime.

oesxyl
09-30-2008, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. I can test in the xslt whether the value of the data field is blank, but it seems that since the datatype is set to datetime, excel converts a null value to something not null. That make sense? I'm a total novice at xslt btw ... this is just something I have to get done in order to proceed in the project. I just want to pass along an empty value, but it seems excel does not support an empty datetime.
I'm not sure, I work with excel long time ago, but I guess that the fields is '1 ian 1979' or something like that. Probably the best way is to test if in xml have a null value and insert something like N/A in excel or change cell format.

in both cases, N/A and reformat cell, I have no idea what you must generate with xslt
best regards

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum