View Full Version : IMPORTANT: Database reverted to Sept 15th copy, perhaps temporarily!!

WA
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
To help me isolate the strange instability issues with the forums that started on Sept 16th, please note that at the moment I've reverted the database back to the Sept 15th copy. This could mean two things:

1) If the problems with the forums are fixed as a result of the reverting, this means I'll have to stick to this copy of the database, and posts made after Sept 15th are lost unfortunately.

2) If the problems still persist, then I'll be restoring the latest copy of the database, which is Sept 24th, and we go from there.

Due to the uncertainty at this point, you should bare in mind that any posts made on CF now may be flushed if 2) turns out to be the outcome.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but this appears to be a necessary step for me to diagnose the problems, which specifically are:

1) A vBulletin database error instead of the actual page you're viewing
2) Slow or inaccessible pages.

Please post any issues you experience with the forums at this point in this thread.

Philip M
09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
At 1306 GMT was working perfectly as far as I can see.

jlhaslip
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
I had several "lags" the other day, but nothing serious...

No doubt you and the crew will work through this issue. Thanks for providing the site in the first place.

Fumigator
09-24-2008, 04:52 PM
That's a shame because I was thanked like 500 times yesterday. Oh well :p

p.s. I'll go ahead and allow you to add 500 to my thanked count to make up for it. Yes I'm bored.

sedaniel
09-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Is this the reason for my account being deleted? I tried to logon this morning and found my posts gone and when I reregistered it let me use the same name... that's how I found out I wasn't banned or anything (I was trying to figure out if I'd done something wrong, lol).

oracleguy
09-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Is this the reason for my account being deleted? I tried to logon this morning and found my posts gone and when I reregistered it let me use the same name... that's how I found out I wasn't banned or anything (I was trying to figure out if I'd done something wrong, lol).

Yeah, that is the reason. The database also contains the list of registered users and their information so if you registered after the 15th, your account would no longer exist.

mlseim
09-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Sometimes, PHP is just too much fun :(

WA
09-24-2008, 07:59 PM

p.s. I'll go ahead and allow you to add 500 to my thanked count to make up for it. Yes I'm bored.

Perhaps, but on the upside, all the thanks predating Sept 15th are now back. Of course, this could be temporary if reverting back to the old copy of the database doesn't help with the issues. We're deep in the rabbit hole now...

BoldUlysses
09-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Can we do anything to help? As mentioned above, thanks for your hard work and just for providing the site.

WA
09-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the offer. Right now, please just report any continuing database or site inaccessible/slow errors you may experience here. Other than that, at this point, there's not much I can do either actually except wait and see if the revert has made any difference. :)

VIPStephan
09-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Ain’t there any error log where one can find out what’s wrong? Surely, these issues don’t come from nothing. Maybe the server/database has been hijacked or something?

Maybe a fresh install of the forum software and DB would help?

WA
09-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Ain’t there any error log where one can find out what’s wrong? Surely, these issues don’t come from nothing. Maybe the server/database has been hijacked or something?

Maybe a fresh install of the forum software and DB would help?

Hmm nothing that dramatic or drastic unfortunately. :D Basically the database has grown to be very large, so rather routine things like a database or server crash are amplified and run the risk of doing some serious issues to the integrity of the database. This seemed to have happened on September 15th; either that, or the server is simply no longer able to reliably handle the size of the database. It may be time to move CF to a different server than the one it's on very soon with increased resources.

o0O0o.o0O0o
09-25-2008, 01:14 AM
I think 2GB database size is not that large

abduraooft
09-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Got another DB error now, and just out of curiosity, when looked the html page source, there is
<!--
Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_pconnect() [&lt;a href='function.mysql-pconnect'&gt;function.mysql-pconnect&lt;/a&gt;]: User has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections
.(xxxx).php on line xx

MySQL Error :
Error Number :
Request Date : Thursday, September 25th 2008 @ 01:28:16 AM
Why a mysql_pconnect() ?

Using persistent connections can require a bit of tuning of your Apache and MySQL configurations to ensure that you do not exceed the number of connections allowed by MySQL.

Edit: PMed WA

WA
09-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the info abduraooft! Some of that information may just prove very helpful, starting with the fact that it reminds me to turn back on error reporting via email (which I had turned off a few months ago). I've disabled persistent connections for now as well.

Thanks. :)

abduraooft
09-25-2008, 08:44 AM
starting with the fact that it reminds me to turn back on error reporting via email (which I had turned off a few months ago)
Hiya.. I remember, that /. effect :)

Philip M
09-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Most users ever online was 2,166, 04-09-2008 at 06:54 AM.

(Which is 9th April 2008 if I understand American usage correctly).

As I say, it worked fine up to September 15th and as far as I can see is working fine now 0730 GMT, although there are only 640 users on line right now (it being the middle of the night in the Americas). So on 15/16 Sept someone did something to upset it, no?

"If it ain't broke, keep on at it until it is". :D:D:D

abduraooft
09-25-2008, 10:34 AM

Lost a lot of posts, feeling much younger now! bah..

PS: Do we need to set our calendar back to 15th ? :D

abduraooft
09-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Just got another one, which says

mysql_connect() [&lt;a href='function.mysql-connect'&gt;function.mysql-connect&lt;/a&gt;]: User gchiang_cfmaster has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections Hope it's not a mysql setting!

WA
09-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Yep, I got the automated "memo" on that error via email this morning as well. :) Looks like there are still some issues to work through...

student101
09-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Thank you George for the ability for myself and others to use, contribute, be helped and help others in this crazy world of coding, development and ideas.

Cheers :thumbsup:

student101
09-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Strange reputation received?
Latest Reputation Received -1 point(s) total
Thread IMPORTANT: Database... Date 09-26-2008 05:14 PM Comment fdgsdfg! Whoever did this is an idiot!, sorry an uneducated idiot!

Cheers

bazz
09-27-2008, 12:50 AM
lol your sig student101. I have seen t-shirts which on the front say "The Titanic, built by Irishmen". On the back it says, "sunk by an englishman" lol

abduraooft
10-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Still getting errors, though in lesser frequency (once in a day)

oesxyl
10-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Yep, I got the automated "memo" on that error via email this morning as well. :) Looks like there are still some issues to work through...
was happend two things to me few times:
- clik on the link New Posts (http://www.codingforums.com/search.php?do=getnew) ask me what I want to do with script
- when I edit a post and click "Preview" give me a database error page.

because this happend randomly I guess is a problem of number of connection/request to the server, can you check the database limits, MAX and MIN settings. I think you can find some info in server log.

best regards

WA
10-19-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm planning to move CF to a new server soon, which hopefully will resolve the random dropped mysql connection problems.

oesxyl
10-19-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm planning to move CF to a new server soon, which hopefully will resolve the random dropped mysql connection problems.
often settings are not change from server to server, the default values, but if network response time or other parameters involved here are changed or if is a hardware problem, moving will solve it, :)

best regards

GalaxyCode
10-27-2008, 04:59 PM
More vBulliten errors. =/

WA
10-27-2008, 10:28 PM
More vBulliten errors. =/

More motivation for me to quickly move CF to a new server then. :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum