View Full Version : Ruby or Php

09-12-2008, 11:41 PM
I am sure that this is probably not the place to post, but it is not a question dealing directly with either language.

I have read a bunch of articles relating to both languages and I am a little confused as to which would be the better choice to move forward with and am hoping for others opinions.

09-12-2008, 11:44 PM
There are a lot of resources for PHP and its easy to get on a server where as not many servers support Ruby. I suggest going with PHP as I think IMO there is a larger amount of people using php than ruby. If you check our ruby forum you won't see much action in there.

09-13-2008, 03:43 AM
This forum works for you're post.
I'm with aerospace. I've used Ruby as well, but the only thing that wow'd me about it is its mvc scaffolding. Once you get one or write one in PHP than php is built just as easily.
Overall I'm more impressed with PHP than ruby. If I'm not mistaken (it has been awhile :P), ruby is datatype strong, so thats an advantage I'd give to it over PHP. But, with ASP.NET, I'd likely go for that before ruby myself.

09-13-2008, 02:46 PM
I would use php.

09-13-2008, 11:56 PM
I would go for PHP.

Whilst it might be apparent that Ruby on Rails is a Framework which was built specifically for web applications, and as such, helps programmers implement best practices such as the use of MVC (Model-View-Controller), there are now many PHP frameworks that implement such patterns such as CakePHP, ZendFramework,...to name a few.

Having said that though...I think you may find the following articles an interesting read....