View Full Version : multiple javascripts - help needed

kyledavey
09-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Granted my knowledge of javascripts is not brillian so some help on this query would be great:

I have the following 2 entries in the <head> of my page. it turns up an error and i need to use both. could someone explain best way of doing this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="dropdowntabfiles/dropdowntabs.js">
</script>

and

<script type="text/javascript">

if (document.getElementById)
document.documentElement.className = 'jsclass'; //hide content for DOM capable browsers

var randomcontentdisplay={
divholders:new Object(),
masterclass: "randomcontent",

init:function(){
if (!document.getElementById)
return
var alldivs=document.getElementsByTagName("div")
var randomcontentsearch=new RegExp(this.masterclass+"\\s+(group\\d+)", "i") //check for CSS class="randomcontent groupX" (x=integer)
for (var i=0; i<alldivs.length; i++){
if (randomcontentsearch.test(alldivs[i].className)){
if (typeof this.divholders[RegExp.$1]=="undefined") //if array to hold this group of divs doesn't exist yet
this.divholders[RegExp.$1]=new Array() //create array first
this.divholders[RegExp.$1].push(alldivs[i]) //add this div to the array
}
}
this.showone()
},

showone:function(){
for (group in this.divholders){ //loop thru each array within object
var chosenOne=Math.floor(Math.random()*this.divholders[group].length) //randomly pick one entry from array
this.divholders[group][chosenOne].style.display="block" //display content corresponding to the chosen entry
}
}
}

</script>

Philip M
09-04-2008, 05:57 PM
The solution is usually to be found at:-

http://www.javascriptkit.com/javatutors/multiplejava.shtml

If that does not deal with it, then you must check that there is no duplication of function or variable names between the two scripts.

We are sorry that as a result of a typographical error we referred to General X as "a bottle-scarred old veteran". This should of course have read "a battle-scared old veteran".

kyledavey
09-04-2008, 06:34 PM
thanks for this philip. i already had a read through that page on javascriptkit and it speaks of conflicts between
1) <body ONLOAD="runscript()">
2) window.onload=runscript //appears inside the <script> tag

neither of my scripts seem to run from the body tag or using the window.onload. i cant seem to find variable that clashes either . . .

Philip M
09-04-2008, 06:41 PM
What error messages do you get?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum