View Full Version : My Fathers Civil Engineering Consultancy Site - Please review

ThirdDash
09-04-2008, 06:03 PM
I've finally completed my fathers civil engineering consultancy site design and would love a critique / review from the public.

www.pendharkar.co.in

- Some of the fonts are fixed (i had to compromise to make the layout work)
- There will be a text-only version implemented at some point. For now, both the light and dark themes will hopefully suffice.
- The images aren't optimized fully but will be once the review process is completed.
- Navigation works via javascript, but all sections of the site are accessible without javascript. (only the theme switching isn't)

Thanks for taking the time to review my work. All constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Siddharth

PS. I know I made a spelling mistake with the title...it's Review, not Revite. ;)

soap_box
09-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Your fixed text is totally out of line for me in FF3, the buttons seem to be floating left while the main site is centred.

Other than that it looks very nice so far. validates as xhtml strict and no css errors, which is always good. I like the dropdown menus and the colour choices a lot.

Apostropartheid
09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
It's really messed up in IE7. The lists and titles are misaligned...

ThirdDash
09-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Your fixed text is totally out of line for me in FF3, the buttons seem to be floating left while the main site is centred.

Other than that it looks very nice so far. validates as xhtml strict and no css errors, which is always good. I like the dropdown menus and the colour choices a lot.

That's strange, I'm looking at it in FF3.01 and I can't see the problem. Could you make a screenshot for me please ?

I'm queued on browsershots so hopefully i'll be able to see it for myself...

ThirdDash
09-04-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm seeing the problem on Safari as well...

looks like a CSS positioning problem which I'm going to hunt down and fix...thanks for alerting me to it guys, hopefully i'll be able to track down the problem and resolve it asap.

soap_box
09-04-2008, 08:46 PM
That's strange, I'm looking at it in FF3.01 and I can't see the problem. Could you make a screenshot for me please ?

I'm queued on browsershots so hopefully i'll be able to see it for myself...
Sure, here you go (saved as gif for size, messed up colours a bit)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/soap_box/screenshot.gif

ThirdDash
09-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks, it seems the problem is only with FF3.0 MAC OX and not FF3 for XP

Seems like a centering problem which i will have to work on. For some reason IE6 and FF3 and Opera 9.5 don't show the elements being pulled left when they render.

Will have to fix it though...

ThirdDash
09-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Layout problems have been fixed now.

Moodle
09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Design Bad
The difference between light and dark is... Nothing?
It all seems a bit... hi-tech, and those templates you get off freewebs...

Design Good
-pass-

Technical
The drop down menu's... excellent javascript use.
It's valid. :)

Best of luck, Moodle.

sutton silver
09-09-2008, 02:00 PM
The design is slightly dated, but some of the elements (The javascript drop-down, the icons, the main header graphic) are very nice.

The content areas are well padded and structured well, it's valid and it works...

The THEME to me is rather pointless, but if you think it's worth while keeping then fair enough.

Cheers
Chris SS

seodose
09-26-2008, 12:45 PM
It's really messed up in IE7. The lists and titles are misaligned...

Carpet cleaning Austin (http://duracleanaustin.com/carpet.html) men pendants (http://www.homme-rock.com/Mens-Neckwear/)

gnomeontherun
09-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Few things, I also don't think a THEME feature is useful on a Civil Engineering Consulting Site. The theme as it stands does look more like something you would use for a space education site, which throws me off when viewing the site. I also find that the image you selected and the space to the right of it in the header is huge but tells me nothing about the site. I'm all for large images IF they say 1000 words about your site. I'm afraid this image combined with the template make me wonder immediately if this site is really about civil engineering. You lose a lot of space to the right of the header image where there is just a gray box...many potential uses I'd say!

Sorry this is a bit harsh, but I think the site looks fine except that it just doesn't seem to match the purpose of the site. Looking at the high profile clients (they seem important), view the site from a potential client's perspective, or better yet ask them or others in the field how they like it and for suggestions.

A few smaller things
Title of home page seems strange 'Main Homepage of...', I'd remove that.
Careers and Multimedia don't have little menu icons.
Having the menu jump down 50px is a little awkward, but ok.
You may want to obfuscate your email address on the pages.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum