View Full Version : Game Controller Programming...

Daniel Israel
08-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Greetings everyone...

I am working on a project (design phase right now) that will be a windows application where I have to interface with 2 game controllers that are connected by USB (1 controller per USB connection). The last time I did game controller programming, I was using a Commodore 64!

I'm considering developing this in MFC/C++ or C#. Is there some standard library I should be looking at? Or some tutorial that describes how to do this? Can someone give me a kick in the right direction? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

oracleguy
08-25-2008, 10:05 PM
It probably depends on what game controllers you want to support. If you want to only use a Xbox 360 controller, I know for sure there is stuff available to do that. Otherwise for more generic game pad controllers, you might be able to do that using DirectX's DirectInput.

Daniel Israel
08-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Well, as I said... we're in design stage right now.

I'd probably like to make it as generic as possible, but the reality is that it's a single system (very specific situation) and knowing this client (I've done lots of work for them), they'll tell me to get the controller and bill them, so realistically, I can use anything I want...

But thanks for the hint on directinput, I'll have to check it out and see if it makes sense for me.

Thanks.

Gox
08-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Microsoft's XNA Framwork provides handy classes for getting 360 controller input. The framework itself is geared more towards making games, but can be used with WinForms and is for use with C#. I'm not sure whether the controller classes/packages are strictly part of the XNA Framework, or whether it's a .net thing.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum