View Full Version : Where to start?

toddnic
08-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I need guidance on where to start learning. I started programming Basic and Machine Language on a Commodore 64 - 25 years ago. I learned a little of other languages and have done a lot of macros in excel and such. I haven't done any ground up programs since the C-64 days. I'd like to get into programming applications for business and personal needs. I'm not sure what language(s) to focus on and what tools I need. Anyone help?

SSJ
08-21-2008, 01:00 PM
There are mainly 3 types of programming out here:
1. System Programming
2. Desktop Application Programming
3. Website Programming

In system programming, You can learn C,C++.
In Desktop Application Programming, You can learn VB,VB.Net
In Website Programming, You can learn ASP,PHP,ASP.Net

oracleguy
08-21-2008, 03:57 PM
In Desktop Application Programming, You can learn VB,VB.Net

Desktop applications are by no means limited to just VB, you can use C, C++, C#, and Java to name a few.

Millenia
08-21-2008, 07:39 PM
For system programming try Python (http://www.python.org), it's seriously under-rated. It's a great programming language.

toddnic
08-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Thank you to all. I've downloaded Microsoft Visual C++. I'll start working with that.

I have actually done a lot with Visual Basic writing macros for Excel. Can you use it also to write stand-alone programs?

Millenia
08-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Thank you to all. I've downloaded Microsoft Visual C++. I'll start working with that.

I have actually done a lot with Visual Basic writing macros for Excel. Can you use it also to write stand-alone programs?

Visual Basic can be used to make stand-alone programs. Quite easily. But you can achieve much more with "real" programming languages.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum