PDA

View Full Version : How to extern #DEFINE?

dealmaker
08-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Hi,
I am a module that uses several #DEFINE values that are defined in other modules. I tried extern, but it doesn't seem to work with #DEFINE. I don't want to include other modules' header files in the source file of the module because I want to keep this module independent, and I try not to change these DEFINE into global variables in order to use extern. How do I do this?

Thank you.

oracleguy
08-15-2008, 02:33 AM
You need to put them in a header file and just share the header file between the two modules. #defines are preprocessor directives and as such are processed and removed from the code before the linker processes extern statements.

dealmaker
08-15-2008, 03:49 AM
But there are multiple modules that are using this module and I don't link them all into same executable. And each module has a different value for the #DEFINE. So I have to use #ifdef and #include which is what I don't want to do.

You need to put them in a header file and just share the header file between the two modules. #defines are preprocessor directives and as such are processed and removed from the code before the linker processes extern statements.

oracleguy
08-15-2008, 05:06 PM
If they have different values for the defines, why do you want to share them?

But it boils down to that you can't share #define values with extern. The only way to share them is through a header file or through the compiler options. Most compilers allow you to set preprocessor defines in the command line when you compile the file.