View Full Version : SSI problem

08-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I’m really hoping someone might help me before I pull all my hair out.
I’m new to this and am using dreamweaver.
I’ve included my navigation bar as a SSI that appears on every page.
I’m trying to update the links in the navbar. I have gone to image objects, navigation bar – then click yes to modify the navbar.
I change the ‘when clicked go to url:’ from ‘contact.html’ to ‘contact.shtml’ – but it doesn’t work. I get a broken link notification.
I’ve already changed the file ‘contact.html’ to ‘contact.shtml’ and contact.shtml looks fine when I preview it in a browser through dreamweaver.
Can anyone help??
(It’s also noticeable that when I look up the site in my documents ‘contact.html’ had a little internet e symbol beside it, ‘contact.shtml’ has a little notepad beside it instead.)

08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
When you preview it is it going to the shtml? or the html? I ask because sometimes you will have to delete your cookies, or close the program and restart it in order for it to go to the new page.

08-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks Samsfriend, much appreciated.
Unfortunately my original question is defunct. I tried to fix it by creating a new nav bar in an includes folder.
Now the navbar which had five buttons, just shows up as a list of broken links (five horrible grey pictures broken in half).
Any ideas?

08-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Did you try using dreamweavers link checker to fix them?

08-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Did you try using dreamweavers link checker to fix them?
thanks for the tips Samsfriend but I've decided to start again!
It'll do me good - it'll remind me how the site was built.
I think the problem was renaming of a SSI. I'll just never rename them in future!
For all those fellow webby newbies out there 'NEVER RENAME YOUR SSIS'.
cheers again samsfriend