View Full Version : SSI problem

BG123
08-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I’m really hoping someone might help me before I pull all my hair out.
I’m new to this and am using dreamweaver.
I’ve included my navigation bar as a SSI that appears on every page.
I’m trying to update the links in the navbar. I have gone to image objects, navigation bar – then click yes to modify the navbar.
I change the ‘when clicked go to url:’ from ‘contact.html’ to ‘contact.shtml’ – but it doesn’t work. I get a broken link notification.
I’ve already changed the file ‘contact.html’ to ‘contact.shtml’ and contact.shtml looks fine when I preview it in a browser through dreamweaver.
Can anyone help??
(It’s also noticeable that when I look up the site in my documents ‘contact.html’ had a little internet e symbol beside it, ‘contact.shtml’ has a little notepad beside it instead.)

samsfriend
08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
When you preview it is it going to the shtml? or the html? I ask because sometimes you will have to delete your cookies, or close the program and restart it in order for it to go to the new page.

BG123
08-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks Samsfriend, much appreciated.
Unfortunately my original question is defunct. I tried to fix it by creating a new nav bar in an includes folder.
Now the navbar which had five buttons, just shows up as a list of broken links (five horrible grey pictures broken in half).
Any ideas?

samsfriend
08-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Did you try using dreamweavers link checker to fix them?

BG123
08-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Did you try using dreamweavers link checker to fix them?
thanks for the tips Samsfriend but I've decided to start again!
It'll do me good - it'll remind me how the site was built.
I think the problem was renaming of a SSI. I'll just never rename them in future!
For all those fellow webby newbies out there 'NEVER RENAME YOUR SSIS'.
cheers again samsfriend

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum