View Full Version : Get your teeth stuck into this....

borntoslow
08-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Before i get going on this, im not sure if this can \ needs done on Javascript. Just one of the languages i am most familiar with.

Here is a little taster of what i want to do...

I have an excel spreadsheet that contains a list of personnel and when there certification runs out (not important what certificates). What i want to do is execute a program that will search the spreadsheet (is this possible!!!) and then any certificates that are withing 45 days of expiring (always todays date) i want an automatic email from my email address to be sent out to a pre selected mail group. Also when the certificate expires another email to be sent out saying that the certificate has expired.

I will not go into to much details for now on what email client i am using, just want to know if this can be done, in Javascript (or any other language). Pretty sure that it can be done using SQL but then i need to populate a database (or do i??).

So all you tech heads, what you think??? Answers on a post card.

Kor
08-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Definitely you need a data base and a server-side language application (written in php, asp, java... whichever)
Javascript is a client-side language, it can not, alone, read/write data (with some irrelevant exceptions - js files, cookies - ) and definitely can not automatically send e-mails. That's a server business.

borntoslow
08-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks for your quick respons on this.

Shame i hate SQL and php. never mind. time for a cut and paste job on PhP forum. :mad:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum