View Full Version : Supporting PHP 4 necessary?

kaisellgren
08-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi,

I'm creating a huge script open for public use. I have written it for PHP 5 (will soon work on PHP 6 too), but I am wondering is it worth to support PHP 4? How many PHP 4 only powered servers are there?

djm0219
08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
A good number of hosting providers still don't provide PHP 5 unfortunately. If you restrict it to 5 or higher you're likely going to limit your audience.

GJay
08-05-2008, 08:07 PM
It isn't necessary, and I personally wouldn't spend any time whatsoever checking or making it work. If it does, then great, but do you really want to be selling to/supporting people who aren't clued up enough to get half-decent hosting? (all the big-names all allow PHP5 now, even if only as an alternative rather than the default - hosts not supporting it is largely a myth, I haven't come across any in the last 6 months or so) and most popular apps are moving towards PHP5 only.

There hasn't been any new work done on PHP4 since february, and as of this coming Friday it won't even get security fixes. The announcement of the EOL was over a year ago, so any hosting provider who won't support PHP5 is being completely irresponsible.

At the end of the day though, it's up to you. If you're looking to make money from this, and it becomes obvious there is a market for PHP4 support then consider it. If it's a hobby-type project though, and you just want people to use it, then you're going to cause yourself problems firstly making it work with 4, and secondly supporting people trying to use it.

Fou-Lu
08-05-2008, 11:00 PM
No.
I support only versions that are current or one version previous. With PHP 6, I wouldn't bother with PHP4. If you really feel you need to, support PHP 4, but don't go back further than 4.2, non-superglobal hell.

If someone wants to use you're public script but they don't have the correct version of PHP to run it, let them take care of altering the code. Just tell them what version they require to run it - I posted a datacollections with linkedlists, queues and stacks with an indication of 5.1 (or was it 5.2...) minimum to run. If someone doesn't have that version, they just can't use it.

_Aerospace_Eng_
08-06-2008, 02:17 AM
I've had a few clients whose webhosts only had PHP4 installed.

kaisellgren
08-06-2008, 01:24 PM
I've had a few clients whose webhosts only had PHP4 installed.

And how many clients have you had in total?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum