View Full Version : Retrieving Info For Modification

07-31-2008, 04:40 PM
I have a drop down select box and need to know how to recall all the info that option has and have it post it's info into the form fields below it. How is that done. Because it'll give the user the ability to edit the info and then click "Update" and it'll change the info.

07-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Do you mean like
$_POST["titlename"]; ?

EDIT: Or do you mean pulling the information from the database? Like

$titlename = $row["titlename"];

<input type="text" name="titlename" value="$titlename">

So whatever value they have in the database, it will keep that value in the box, so you can see what is currently in the database? So if you have "Champion" as a title in the database, the title name text box would say "Champion" in it at all times, until its changed.

07-31-2008, 05:03 PM

Go to the page I listed and notice how I have the drop down select menu above a form. Upon selection of a title it will go to my database and retrieve that titles info and place it's corresponding info into the form fields below so that the user can edit it and the click update and it'll replace the new info with the old info.

07-31-2008, 05:58 PM
You need AJAX for that. The drop down menu would need an onchange="ajax_function()" inside of the <select> tag. You would have to define ajax_function() as a javascript function elsewhere in the document. For that, you should really ask here (http://codingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)

Essentially how it works is this (extremely simplified): the ajax/javascript function that is called from onchange will check what the current selected value in the menu is and send it as a parameter to a .php file. The php file retrieves the parameter with the $_POST or $_GET arrays. The file pulls what ever info you need from the database, formats it, and gives it back to the javascript function. The javascript function then sets some other div's inner HTML to whatever was retrieved from the php file. I never knew Javascript but was able to learn it well enough from this link (http://www.w3schools.com/Ajax/Default.Asp) to do what you're talking about.