View Full Version : Guestbook getting heavily Spammed!

adehall1980
07-16-2008, 06:05 PM
I have a guestbook created in php. It's only been online about a month but slowly but surely it's getting spammed more and more and now the textual content is starting to get inappropriate for the site. How do I stop this? I'm ftping the txt file and deleting the bad content and uploading it again constantly. :eek:

Iszak
07-16-2008, 06:19 PM
You could add a field on when they posted and do a check to see if it's within say 2 minutes of when they last posted.. etc..

strokemymouse
07-16-2008, 06:22 PM
I agree with Iszak. But, if its a guestbook they only really need to reply once. So you could actually stop them from posting more than 1 comment per say... day, week or month? which falls back onto Iszaks idea.

Or if its bots that are doing this, set up a validation field :) pretty simple to make :)

Spookster
07-16-2008, 07:09 PM
add a captcha feature.

CFMaBiSmAd
07-16-2008, 07:22 PM
For a guestbook, you need to do everything possible to -

1) Make sure that it is your form that is submitting to your form processing code,
2) Make sure that the content is validated and only allow those posts that only contain expected content,
3) Make sure that any benefit that is being received is removed (such as sending spam emails through your mail server.)

mlseim
07-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Don't have a guestbook.

I would guess most posts look like this:
"cool site dude!"
"you rock!"

If someone really wants to comment, have them email or call you.

adehall1980
07-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Don't have a guestbook.

I would guess most posts look like this:
"cool site dude!"
"you rock!"

If someone really wants to comment, have them email or call you.

Not really a useful solution there, it's actually for a Motorcycle Training Business and the guestbook area is somewhere the new biker community in the area can communicate, most posting messages of thanks to the staff.

adehall1980
07-17-2008, 02:30 PM
add a captcha feature.

Thank you, I've been researching this and it looks like something I can add to the existing code which to be fair I got from one of the many freebies on the net, it just wasn't one of the freebies to include security option obviously :)

oesxyl
07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Not really a useful solution there, it's actually for a Motorcycle Training Business and the guestbook area is somewhere the new biker community in the area can communicate, most posting messages of thanks to the staff.
one solution can be:
- all poster must be registered with a valid mail address
- they can post only after you check the mail address and if are registered

regards

mlseim
07-17-2008, 03:55 PM
I think a forum would be better than the guestbook idea.

It would allow two-way discussion about the Training Business,
have multiple topics, search features, and a great exchange of
thoughts, ideas ... much like this thread.

You can see how this discussion started out, how we each provided
some ideas and finally, discovered the reason for your guestbook.

Much more valuable information than a simple guest book. Using a
forum would also draw discussions about other areas of Motorcycle
Training that the company may not have already addressed.

Here's an idea of what the forum might look like:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=motorcycle+training+forum&spell=1

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum