View Full Version : Please clairfy use of MySQL functions in PHP

leemarquis
07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Im getting a bit mixed up with PHP and MySQL. I understand PHP is the scripting language and MySQL is the database server software.

I know mysql functions are used within PHP to interact with the database - but can I use any MySQL function? For example I wanted to use the DAYNAME() function to get the day name of a date for a variable in my PHP script. But using this function doesnt work.

Am I missing something? How can I use such functions with PHP - or cant I?

leemarquis
07-15-2008, 09:22 PM
OK - I think Ive answered my own question - MySQL functions do not work in PHP - but PHP has many of its own functions to do the same things and many of them are designed to interact with MySQL databases.

Am I right?

Fou-Lu
07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Yes, Mysql functions are dictated as a part of their string query. So any function calls (as long as you put them within a string) will be understood as only a part of the query and mysql will handle the rest. PHP ignores anything defined as a string and does not attempt to parse it:

$sQry = 'SELECT SUM(price) FROM priceTable';

PHP ignores this SUM as its a string call, but MySQL will interpret it as an aggregate function call.

You cannot however use SQL functions as a part of PHP (which is what it sounds like you are doing). Calling DAYNAME is considered undefined in the scope of PHP:

DAYNAME($fromVar);

Will result in a fatal error since DAYNAME has not been defined. To parse PHP dates, use the date (http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php) function:

<?php

echo date('l');
// Returns Tuesday, since today is Tuesday July 15, 2008

?>

You could execute a query to give you this result, but thats way too much overhead for something that can be handled by PHP alone.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum