View Full Version : Cross OS Font Compatibility ? Which fonts are compatible ?

jesica
07-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Hello guys,

i would like to know which Fonts are absolutely compatible with OS of Windows, Linux and MacOS , so that i can safely use them into my web pages for cross font compatibility ?

Font called "System" that we use on Windows isent it so combatible yes ?

anyway waiting for your answers ;)

jcdevelopment
07-12-2008, 12:46 AM
hope this helps a little

OS cross-browser fonts (http://www.webspaceworks.com/resources/fonts-web-typography/48/)

Apostropartheid
07-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Simple answer is: none.
Windows and OS X typefaces have some crossover, but these are mostly agreed and have alternate names (f.e. Lucida Sans Unicode and Lucida Grande.) Most Linux distributions do not include, by default, Core Web typefaces and prefer alternate free ones.

jesica
07-12-2008, 09:37 PM
thanks guys ,

but still am wondering , then what combination of fonts must a web programmer use to be able to match as it is possible combatibility ?

par example a combination of font-family: Arial, sans-serif, helvetica is the best choice or you have to suggest something better ?

:rolleyes:

jcdevelopment
07-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Well, to tell you the truth it has to be up to the "boss". You can suggest certain fonts but thats what i use that web page for. so i know what to suggest!

VIPStephan
07-13-2008, 03:06 PM
par example a combination of font-family: Arial, sans-serif, helvetica is the best choice or you have to suggest something better ?

The choice of these three is good but a better order would be “Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif” or “Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif”. Helvetica is the original font (installed by default on most Apple computers if I’m not mistaken) and Arial is a Windows version of Helvetica that looks very similar and has advanced to the most widely used/supported font. “Sans-serif” is a generic family name and will choose the system font that’s in that family if none of the ones specified before are working. So, this one must come last in the order as last fallback option which might be applied on alternative OSes where none of the former ones is present. A good descripion of it can be found on http://w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#generic-font-families

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum