View Full Version : Video game programming

Laharl1234
07-09-2008, 03:01 AM
What code language is predominantly used for designing/creating video games these days? I always assumed it was c++

oracleguy
07-09-2008, 03:06 AM
It is usually C or C++

Fou-Lu
07-09-2008, 06:43 AM
typedef struct
{
void doPong();
}PONG;

Yay, PONG.doPong()! If only it were that easy...
Now, I don't program video games, the best I've done is a PSP pong game (which I was very proud of mind you :)), but I used C for that. Personally, I'd say C++ is more prominent due to its oo that C lacks. Course, if you are talking about the design I hear a lot of it is developed in special environment studios (drop and drag maybe?), so I have no idea what those are like. In either case, what a nightmare it must be to make a modern day game, MGS4 programming gives me nightmares, and I didn't have anything to do with that >.<

Millenia
07-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Don't forget Python...

o0O0o.o0O0o
07-10-2008, 08:05 AM
It took me 3 months to program the 1/4 of Mario Game First round . Had to use all physics and gravity for jumping and projectile motion as well , in C++ .

Usually now a days they use program like 3d max as well . I had a project in my uni where i had to move a Robot made in 3dmax with java.

Dark Basic is also good program for game programming

Aradon
07-10-2008, 12:36 PM
You _can_ in theory make a game in just about any language.

If you actually want graphics though you're going to want to look into languages that use things like Direct X and OpenGL.

C++/C Uses Direct X and OpenGL
Java (Believe it or not) Can use OpenGL as well as their own Graphics3d/2d libraries. I'm unsure about DirectX but since its' a microsoft product I suspect not.

Those are the two languages that I know work, otherwise you could create your own graphics engine yourself in any number of languages. Or use some sort of api developed by another engine (Such as the source engine, unreal engine, etc. etc.)

Laharl1234
07-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys for the very good replies :)

Okay, so C++, Open GL, and Java are musts to learn. What is Python?

Can someone point me to a website that provides good tutorials? I've found a few but I'm not sure of how in depth they are.

Also, which is the best software to use to program my games? So far I've heard 3d max and DarK Basic. Which is the definitive one?

Millenia
07-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys for the very good replies :)

Okay, so C++, Open GL, and Java are musts to learn. What is Python?

Can someone point me to a website that provides good tutorials? I've found a few but I'm not sure of how in depth they are.

Also, which is the best software to use to program my games? So far I've heard 3d max and DarK Basic. Which is the definitive one?

Python is a programming language. That is a must learn too!
Click here (http://www.python.org)
Python is the way forward...

oracleguy
07-12-2008, 07:22 PM

3D Max is a rendering tool. Dark Basic looks like game programming tool but it doesn't look like it really lets you write much code.

What you'd need is an IDE or just a text editor, a C++ compiler and a debugger. If you are interested in using OpenGL, you'll need to download the SDK for that too.

Millenia
07-12-2008, 07:37 PM
It sounds like you haven't actually learnt these languages yet. If I were you I would learn the basics before attempting a game.

"walk before you can run" [/incorrect quote]

Laharl1234
07-12-2008, 07:47 PM
You're right I haven't. So it's best I start learning C++ for now before worrying about other stuff? Well, I'll start with this site: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Is it a good one?

Thanks

Fou-Lu
07-12-2008, 08:15 PM
First time I've been there, and first look over their tutorials. Seem not bad though, definitely worth checking out.
Lol, I was like WHAT NO POINTERS???. Then I realized they put an entire section for it. I was kind of expecting it to be in the variables and types section.

Laharl1234
07-12-2008, 08:33 PM
I know I have loads of questions but I am a total n00b to programming. Which is the best c++ compiler for me to get right now and where I can download it from?

oracleguy
07-13-2008, 12:50 AM
I know I have loads of questions but I am a total n00b to programming. Which is the best c++ compiler for me to get right now and where I can download it from?

What operating system are you going to be developing on?

Laharl1234
07-13-2008, 02:41 AM
Windows XP.

I've found Quincy but is there a better one out there?

Fou-Lu
07-13-2008, 04:32 AM
I don't do a lot of C programming anymore, so I just use Visual C++ for mine. My linux box had gcc I believe it was, but I'm sorry I'm pretty sure I emerged that program so I don't have a link for you to work with. Best I know the gcc is cross platform though, and a buddy said it worked quite well on windows. I'll see if I can't find a link for it as well.
Edit: First result. The link for the GCC is here: http://gcc.gnu.org/. You can go to microsoft's development site to download their Visual C++, you need to register it but its free.

Laharl1234
07-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks mate

binaryWeapon
07-13-2008, 09:12 PM
I can't speak from actual experience, but I have done a spot of research regarding languages for game programming, and the overwhelming opinion of every site that I have visited is that C++ is generally the best choice, and C or Java are also almost as good. There were a few sites advocating python and others, but C, C++, or Java seems to be the way to go. One great feature of C++ is the object oriented programming, whereas C doesn't have that.

Laharl1234
07-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Does anyone know of a decent tutorial website?

The one I mentioned earlier really isn't working for me...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum